Thread: New sho owner

New sho owner

Hi everyone was hoping I could get some suggestions for this. My sho is a year old it was paired with skeeter fxr21 apex. I love the motor and boat but I feel like I could get more out of the motor. It has the stock 25t2 prop I hit about 5800 rpms right around 67 with tournament gear. I'm hoping to get over that 70 mark. Can this be done with this type of boat and what prop would do it? Only real experience with this please.

2. Member
    Flash it to a 300hp.

3. Member
    How would I go about doing that? Would this void the warranty?

4. Member
    instead of asking folks that dont know call the number for yamaha an ask them if it will void your warranty.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by evinrude View Post
    How would I go about doing that? Would this void the warranty?
    Not unless they can prove that it caused a problem.

6. Member
    Yea I shouldn't have asked about the warranty but either way I didn't know about flashing until I just looked it up. I thought maybe someone has the same setup and just changed the prop to get better performance and I could use their suggestions. That's really what I'm looking for.

7. Member
    Not knowing how heavy you are loaded, it's hard to give you any good recommendations.

I do not believe in flashing motors. No dissertation necessary.

I wouldn't start with changing props. Try something that doesn't cost money first. I assume you have the stock Yamaha prop, probably 25 pitch. Good wheel. Unless damaged, I would think it would get you where you want to be.

The first thing I would advise you to try, sitting here in Missouri freezing my butt off, would be to raise the motor a little.

Go up 1/2 or 3/4 inch and see what happens. If you have bite and good water pressure, start working from there.
    Go up until you start to lose bite or water pressure, then work your way down. That would be my way. A lot guys would just raise the motor a 1/4, try it, and work your way up. Same result.

If you are really heavy, particularly in bow, try to lighten up or move toward the stern.

I'd expect 72, maybe 73. I get 68 at 6,000 in ZX200 with a 200 SHO.

No intent to insult, but I assume you have experience driving a high performance bass boat. If not, you may just need seat time.

8. Member
    Get in touch with these guys. They are some of the best Yamaha service techs in the country and happen to know a lot about the flashing stuff as well.

https://www.hydrotecmarine.com/

9. Member
    I have a 21 Apex FXR21. Unfortunately, the hull was changed (for the worse) in ‘21. The best I can do is 72, with myself and full load (and full gas). 2 guys, 70 is about it. My T-2 prop is blueprinted and it might have only helped 1-2mph. Weight is your enemy, but I always go by full tournament load setups. I’m getting about 100-150 more rpm’s than you are, so you have some tweaking to do.

10. Member
    Replace your Lead sled batteries with IONIC Lithium batteries, lots of good things from there out! Big weight reduction = easier on plane, better top end speed, better battery performance, cleaner and Bluetooth for great info and maintenance, all rewards for a great product that produces owner satisfaction. Most guy's in my area see 5-6 mph better top end speed, I did on my Ranger Z21 with SHO 250. FYI

RangerZ - IONIC Batteries, Lithiumhub.com

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RangerZ View Post
    Replace your Lead sled batteries with IONIC Lithium batteries, lots of good things from there out! Big weight reduction = easier on plane, better top end speed, better battery performance, cleaner and Bluetooth for great info and maintenance, all rewards for a great product that produces owner satisfaction. Most guy's in my area see 5-6 mph better top end speed, I did on my Ranger Z21 with SHO 250. FYI
    Lots of people with Skeeters report slower top end speeds after going to lithiums because of the boat running flat after the weight was removed from the rear.

12. Member
    Thank you all for the great suggestions. My boat hits those numbers jackplate down if I raise the jackplate rpms go up speed goes down.

13. Member
    Nice ride, very solid construction, heavy hull. How does more trim affect speed?
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL

14. Member
    One thing no one, including me, has thought of is making sure your throttle is opening all the way. Assume you are you running a hot foot? Check to make sure it's set correctly.

Not familiar with the FX hull, but I've been in ZX's since 2002 and they all liked to fly high. Try dropping the jack plate and trimming higher. My boats always wanted trim.

The ZX's were all very weight sensitive. I could pick 2 - 3 mph as I burned fuel. I just put lithiums in my new boat. As soon as we get some open water, curious as to what will happen.

I don't think you are getting all you can out of what you have. I always like to spend money as a last resort.

15. Member
    Yea I max out at 5700-5800 trimmed up jackplate down. If I raise jackplate full tilted I lose speed but can get to 6000 rpms.im trying to figure out how to get more speed on the top end.

16. Member
    Plate comes up, trim comes in
    Lake&Bay Boca
    SHO

17. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ClarkBird View Post
    Plate comes up, trim comes in

^^^ THIS ^^^
    Allison XB-21 ProSport
    Yamaha 250 SHO
    Croxton Razor 4XL