Replacing T2 with Solas for my ZX225

Guys,
    I want to first say what I'm about to share is strictly my findings from my research, hopefully this information will be helpful to some of you.
    This is for a 2020 Skeeter ZX225, 2020 SHO 225. MY PROPS are 25 pitch 15 1/8" diameter. Some below are 25 and 26 pitch.

The last few years I've witnessed multiple T1 and T2 propellors either crack blades or sling blades, some caused damage some did not.
    I personally cracked a blade and consider myself non-aggressive in my driving style as I'm 50+ and just don't hot rod, but I love my Skeeter and love the feel of 70+.
    Others I'm very familiar with have cracked and slung blades on boats that were 2-3 weeks old, still factory set with zero changes and others slung blades on "replaced" props which lasted a few days to a few weeks.
    Clearly we are excluding hammering the props into the concrete and clear leading edge scars, these props simply failed.

About my props:
    First, I have all my props worked, BP'ed and balanced and tweaked for my settings. The majority of the above "references" are people that did not have their props worked. So, it does seem to reason the props that are not balanced seem to have a higher fail rate -----**again only based upon my exposure***.
    With that said, some of the T2 props I purchased has flat spots on the leading edge (out of the box), who would not work this prop right? I must say it shocked me to see that at the price of the T2, but anyway.
    I can further say that working the T2 increased the performance of the prop. The grip on the water and overall boat handling was simply "wonderful".
    I have nothing to say negative about the "worked performance" of the T2 other than seeing all those around me commonly sling blades and then mine cracked 85% through one blade. So, that scared me enough to begin looking at a replacement.
    I spent months calling all the manufactures that would talk to me. I spent months calling every prop work house I could find across the US. Yes, I talked to most every guy you boys know, some I already knew, some I did not.

I will not share their names nor opinions here, simply put I was looking for replacements and will share those findings.

I've already said all props I run are worked, that means first running the stock prop and reporting weights, fuel, temps (water and air), humidity, RPM @ WOT, top speed, hole shot and mid-range trim / control.
    Once more, the worked T2 was wonderful, I just was not going to continue running a prop that continued to demonstrate destruction was just a matter of time.

What I found:
    I've settled on the Solas Scorpion.
    Many of the post comment about going down in pitch. I did not change, purchased 25 pitch 15 1/8" diameter.
    My guy already knew what I was expecting for performance coming from worked T2. He knew to meet or exceed.
    I can say after 3 months the Scorpion is easily matching the T2, I personally think it is out performing the T2 !!
    I found it difficult to reach 6000 RPM with the T2, best was around 5850-maybe 5900 and best was just under 73.
    The Scorpion is almost dead on 6000 and has tickled 74 (73.8). Open lake body, zero wind, zero current, 55 deg air 55 deg water.
    My tail is about a foot over my cowling, depending upon the chop I can bump the trim down once and gain .1-.2 MPR.
    My SHO is hanger 3 (third hole, from factory) and showing 8 dots on the factory jack plate (one dot higher than factory).
    I'm about 255lbs and run a respectful load in the boat.
    For me the ultimate test was last weekend, Lake Martin-Alabama had constant winds 12-15 MPH, across a 1.5 mile wide body about 3.5 miles long, the swells were 2-3.5' high constant.
    She plowed downwind and upwind staying around 35-45 MPH and ran about 55-65% trim. Could not have asked for more.
    Bow lift is slightly more as the Solas seems to have more cup. Again this is a worked prop with tweaks based upon what I wanted.
    Hole shot seemed to be identical, mid-range is equal to T2 regarding trim position and overall handling.

At this point I've sold all my T2 props and used the money to purchase backup / summer edition Scorpion prop.
    When summer gets here I'll try to remember to post something regarding it.

Hopefully I will be able to run the Scorpion without cracking / slinging a blade.
    My research found different metals in the props, which yield different tensile strengths (ability to bend), also different blade thicknesses, sharper leading edges, sharper trailing edges and such. These are the reasons I chose the Solas, you do your own research if this is something that seems helpful to you.

Al ZX225

Well, you had better luck with the Solas Scorpion than I did. I didn't have it tweaked, though. I ran it stock, and I believe it was a couple mph slower. at a few hundred rpms lower. It also made my boat want to bow hook with the slightest twitch of the steering wheel. It was too bad to want to have worked. I'm glad you got the results you wanted though.
    Gitcha Bass On!

2015 ZX225

3. Member
    I am a fan of the scorpion props and have one currently for my Skeeter ZXR. I am surprised that you are able to get the RPMs with the same pitch as the Yamaha prop. Like you mentioned I had to go down in pitch to achieve the correct RPMs.

4. Member
    Two things really opened my eyes, first when I actually saw the report on how out of balance the $900 stock T2 was and then when I witnessed the improvement of performance of the T2 after being worked I realized "in my opinion" all cast props must be at least checked. Like balancing a tire on your car......I was told by two different prop OEM, you don't expect a tire to be perfectly balanced, why should the prop be.....two of them told me that. They are cast, not machined and really no way possible could they be balanced out of the mold. Most all of them said (which we all know), take 5 identical boats, 5 identical props.....have 5 different results. Each must be tweaked and individualized, if you want balanced performance. Small investment to get assurance and return on investment in my opinion.

Anyway, I'm positive the worked Solas is the only reason I can spin it up. Sad to say I did not run the stock Solas as my guy already knew all my parameters from the multiple T2's.
    Second one is in the process currently......let's hope I didn't get the only unicorn he had...... haaaaaa
    Another thought process....buying the Solas and paying to have it worked is the same price as the stock T2 not being worked.....no brainer for me really.
    Hopefully my prop buying days are over for a few years. I would like that.

5. Member
    Good info. I might give the Solas a try as it's damn hard to get ahold of a 25 T1 anymore. A buddy of mine has one that Croxton worked and we slapped it on my 21i w/250 Sho and she ran like a scalded ape, so I have been on the hunt for something that will run like that...