Thread: Surf fishing

Surf fishing

anyone surf fish Emerald Isle if so need some help

Not sure of what you are looking for?
    Rod Setup? 12' rod with a 6000 spinning reel with 15lbs test. Get a good Sand Skate to hold the rod. A cheap one will fail when the fish hits, thus pull your rig into the ocean.
    Where to Fish? Wherever the is a "Run Out" Look for the suds where the water is flowing back into the ocean.
    Bait? Shrimp. Squid. Sand Fleas.
    Rig? Depends on the waves. 2oz - 3oz Pyramid Sinker on a "Fish Finder" rig. 30lbs leader about 12"-18" long with a 2/0 circle hook.
    Drag Setting? Set the drag light as not to allow the fish to rip the rod from the sand spike. Check your bait frequently
    You will need a NC Salt water fishing license.

Good Chair, Gin and Tonic, Hard Salami and Cheese.
    2019 RT 198P
    2018 Mercury Pro XS 150 HP 4 Stroke #2B610068
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

3. Member
    Bob i am going to spend two weeks this year so i figured i would take up fishing in the evening would you suggest a M or M/H rod

Can always play around with artificials and stay on the move too. I used to walk the surf with a 7' MH and a gold spoon or a bucktail. Haven't done that in a long while. This is an older picture near bouge inlet, before flounder restrictions.

This was either a 1/2 or 3/4 oz spro jig with a gulp shrimp.

5. Member
    I wish we could find a house closer to the inlet. the first week we are close to the pier just north about 600 yards the second week we are closer to the inlet

6. Member
    When are you going down? That will depend on the fish you may catch. As mentioned above, bottom rig with shrimp will get you bites pretty much anytime. I like to catch mullet or other small fish in the “skinny” water literally right after the last break of the wave. Then I will cut that up into bait chunks and catch blues, small sharks, and the occasional red drum. For the “cut” bait, fish a 6’ medium action spinning rod with a 1oz weight and small hooks and just cast into the break and slowly reel. The bait fish will hook themselves usually. Don’t use a big chunk of shrimp. Too easy to steal the bait. Use just enough to cover the hook point. Then I rig a 9-10 ft surf rod with the bottom rig and cast as far as I can. I fish a medium heavy rod with a fast tip. Just my preference. Obviously fish the changing tides if possible. The area north of the pier may fish better than down on the point. The area down there has gotten very shallow and flat through the last couple years. I also usually have a bait casting setup and throw a gold colored spoon in the wave troughs horizontal with the break. Especially late afternoons. I’ve caught some nice drum and trout thru the years doing that.

7. Member
    you guys think a couple of 4000 size reels will work

8. Member
    you guys think an 8 foot inshore rod would work for one set up and then a 12 foot set up for the other

9. Member
    Also where can i find the regulations for surf fishing. how many rods can i use

Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    Best app for rules is ‘Fish Rules’ it will give you all the regulations on most of what you’re going to catch that’s worth keeping and that has any kind of limit, size and/or creel. I usually fish 3 rods at a time but there’s no limit. The sizes you have listed will get the job done for vacation. I’ve had plenty of luck with KastKing reels so as not to break the bank on stuff you may not use often. Just rinse at the end of each day.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NCRB1 View Post
    When are you going down? That will depend on the fish you may catch. As mentioned above, bottom rig with shrimp will get you bites pretty much anytime. I like to catch mullet or other small fish in the “skinny” water literally right after the last break of the wave. Then I will cut that up into bait chunks and catch blues, small sharks, and the occasional red drum. For the “cut” bait, fish a 6’ medium action spinning rod with a 1oz weight and small hooks and just cast into the break and slowly reel. The bait fish will hook themselves usually. Don’t use a big chunk of shrimp. Too easy to steal the bait. Use just enough to cover the hook point. Then I rig a 9-10 ft surf rod with the bottom rig and cast as far as I can. I fish a medium heavy rod with a fast tip. Just my preference. Obviously fish the changing tides if possible. The area north of the pier may fish better than down on the point. The area down there has gotten very shallow and flat through the last couple years. I also usually have a bait casting setup and throw a gold colored spoon in the wave troughs horizontal with the break. Especially late afternoons. I’ve caught some nice drum and trout thru the years doing that.
    WE are going the last two weeks of July which i assume is not the best time

Quote Originally Posted by Nowater2shallow View Post
    Recreational size and bag limits - if you want to print one out. I keep one in my bag. Only time my phone comes out while fishing is for a picture.

That flounder picture is from July. We didn't catch a ton that particular trip, but still managed a few. Mostly short flounder and blues, but my stepdad caught a couple of smaller slot reds using shrimp/bottom rig. I don't know if they still do it, but Chasin Tails Outdoors in Atlantic used to post fishing reports that I would keep an eye on before going down there.

Ditto to what everyone has stated, BUT, make sure you check the regs. as to keeping, if you want to keep anything. NC is wacked when it comes to keeping fish.

And it changes throughout the year, so check the latest Regulations.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Ditto to what everyone has stated, BUT, make sure you check the regs. as to keeping, if you want to keep anything. NC is wacked when it comes to keeping fish.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Sorry for the double post.

If you fish evenings.
    For SHARK fishing: If you can get some Skate Wings, those are candy to Black Tip Sharks, 10/0 Circle hook and 36" to 48" of 100 lbs leader on that 12' rig I suggested.
    2019 RT 198P
    Twin 12' BT Talons
    4" Atlas Jack Plate
    Riptide Instinct Quest

Quote Originally Posted by Mechanic Bob View Post
    Sorry for the double post.

If you fish evenings.
    For SHARK fishing: If you can get some Skate Wings, those are candy to Black Tip Sharks, 10/0 Circle hook and 36" to 48" of 100 lbs leader on that 12' rig I suggested.
    Our flounder regulations are so whacky it needs a double post, lol.
    He/him
    Kayak fishing in a Native Slayer Max 12.5
    Lowrance Elite 9 ti2

17. Member
    I live in Cape Carteret (just over the bridge from Emerald Isle) and it's been slow lately. Not sure if it's the weather or time of year, or just when I've been going. I don't do a lot of surf fishing but spend a lot of time at the beach. Just haven't seen many people catching lately. If you have a 4X4 you can still drive down to the Point and fish if you aren't close enough.