Correct gasoline for 2006 250 HPDI Yamaha ?

I have been burning 100% gasoline but with the high cost I am tempted to go back to 10% ethanol and use a fuel additive? Another alternative would be to put in 10 gallons of 10% ethanol and 10 gallons of 100% gasoline. Would that be like 5% ethanol? My HPDI is running great right now but I realize it is a complicated motor that can be sensitive.

2. Member
    I run 89 in mine and have no issues. Yamaha manuals will tell you to run a minimum of 89 octane. I also run ring free and stabil with every fill up. I do only put 10 gallons in at a time and typically run those 10 gallons out after a couple of weeks. If you burn a lot of fuel, ethanol won't hurt. If you let it sit, that's when you will start to have problems.

That being said, if it were me, I would continue to run the higher fuel since you have been already. It costs more, but a new outboard or a repair are more expensive.

3. Member
    I have the same motor, I would not use ethanol !

4. Member
    My standard answer:

Read the Owner's manual and follow it.

Pay no attention to what anyone, including me, tells you on the internet.

5. Member
    Owners manual is somewhat insufficient. Says to use 87 octane minimum.

OM does not address the benefits of using 89/91 octane given that HPDI's, for some unknown reason, do not have a knock sensor.

Is it just a coincidence that 3.3 liter blocks are known for suffering from detonation?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yam911 View Post
    Owners manual is somewhat insufficient. Says to use 87 octane minimum.

OM does not address the benefits of using 89/91 octane given that HPDI's, for some unknown reason, do not have a knock sensor.

Is it just a coincidence that 3.3 liter blocks are known for suffering from detonation?
    Yall may want to listen to this^^^^. And remember the Yamaha SHO owners manual tells you the absolute worst way to break in a 4 stroke. I take care of 3 HPDI's 2 300's and 1 225. All run original pistons and have MANY hours on them with zero issues. I have personally seen what old or poor fuel does to these engines. I would not run anything less than FRESH 89 non ethanol in any HPDI let alone a 250 or modded 300's like we have. But hey, it's your money and engine. Want to roll the dice with 87? Go for it! CJ
    2002 X19 200HP OX66 HO Vmax,HPDI lower, it lives, thanks Hydro Tec.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CJ1 View Post
    Yall may want to listen to this^^^^. And remember the Yamaha SHO owners manual tells you the absolute worst way to break in a 4 stroke. I take care of 3 HPDI's 2 300's and 1 225. All run original pistons and have MANY hours on them with zero issues. I have personally seen what old or poor fuel does to these engines. I would not run anything less than FRESH 89 non ethanol in any HPDI let alone a 250 or modded 300's like we have. But hey, it's your money and engine. Want to roll the dice with 87? Go for it! CJ
    I am going with your answer. Thanks

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by geodebasser View Post
    I am going with your answer. Thanks
    I'd just hate to see you loose a engine over $10 or even 100. I know that is what Yam911 is saying also. I know a very respected marine engine builder that lost a engine because of junk fuel. Sometimes you cant help it but you can sure do your best to prevent it.CJ

9. Member
    I alwayys use 91 fuel, no ethenol. Ring free in every tank. Mine is a 200 HP 2007 year. Runs perfect.
    Jer
    1999 Ranger R-97 Reata
    2007 Yamaha 200 VMax HPDI

10. Member
    I can get behind running higher octane than the owner's manual states, but if you go through fuel regularly then there is no issue to avoid ethanol in a motor that has a manual that specifies an upper ethanol limit and you follow that limit. If you don't go through fuel often then I would avoid ethanol as well.

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Thamelau View Post
    I can get behind running higher octane than the owner's manual states, but if you go through fuel regularly then there is no issue to avoid ethanol in a motor that has a manual that specifies an upper ethanol limit and you follow that limit. If you don't go through fuel often then I would avoid ethanol as well.
    I understand this thought process. And to be perfectly honest you will make the most HP with a fuel octane that is just above detonation. BUT when you run right at that edge you risk loosing a engine. Say you get 3/4 of a tank of last year's fuel mixed with a 1/4 tank of fresh from the local mom and pop gas station, your 89 is now 85. Add ethanol and that slug of water it collected just cost you #2 piston on your HPDI that was right on the edge for 89 anyway. Your waterpump is just a bit below what it normally puts out. That upper cylinder is now running hotter than normal, detonating with 89, another #2 burn down story. Ect, ect. To me a good safety margin allows me not to worry about loosing a engine. A good friend followed my advise when covid hit and mixed good fuel for both his outboards. They did not get ran for almost 2 years. Both ran fine all year. I suggested draining and putting in fresh but he didn't and still was ok. As far as ethanol, I would not go past 4 to 6 weeks without running it completely through the system. IMHO it is not worth the risk unless you are running every week at a minimum. Remember a percentage of old fuel remains in the tank unless it is ran completely dry. Cj