Thread: Lake Ida

Lake Ida

Can anyone give me any info on fishing this lake for Peacocks. We might venture down there when we are in Kissimmee. Do they bite mainly on live bait? What lures do they like? Thanks for your help.
    Last edited by rangered; 01-31-2023 at 05:01 PM.

2. Member
    My buddy used to live on Ida, he warned me the peacocks there are mostly caught on live bait, I'd tried to prove him wrong, I didn't, he was right.

Peacocks are aggressive and territorial, Ive caught them on rappalas and various topwaters , they dont like cold so if there has been a front they get lock jaw BAD

4. Member
    Fishing for them with live bait is simply lazy IMO just like fishing for largemouth with shiners is. No other part of the country people fish for bass with live bait regularly because its hard to catch them on artificial. Anyways off my soap box.

Throw topwaters, fast and aggressive, throw jerkbaits, vary the size and color of them until you find the one they want to eat. They are picky in a very pressured fishery but they will eat it, I have never been skunked in that system fishing the techniques I just mentioned.

5. Member
    Thanks for the replies.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Arethaz View Post
    Fishing for them with live bait is simply lazy IMO just like fishing for largemouth with shiners is. No other part of the country people fish for bass with live bait regularly because its hard to catch them on artificial. Anyways off my soap box.

Throw topwaters, fast and aggressive, throw jerkbaits, vary the size and color of them until you find the one they want to eat. They are picky in a very pressured fishery but they will eat it, I have never been skunked in that system fishing the techniques I just mentioned.
    The thread is about lake ida, you’re more than welcome to go fishing there and show us how it’s done, even local guides have trouble catching them on ida with artificials.

7. Member
    Personally If just going down there to to target peacocks id hire a guide and go a little further down towards Miami or out towards the glades. Winter is always a tough time for the peacocks. They are catchable on artificial baits the more erratic style baits (flukes, jerk baits, traps) the better. live bait does shine though in cooler months (jan-April). Lake ida and the canals around Boynton and delray have changed a ton since I are grew up there and I'd be hard pressed to leave Kissimmee to go down there and chase peacocks but if thats what you desire then I would definitely go a little further south.