Bow mount for graphs....stiff or shock absorbing?

Just had to send in my bow graph in for a failed back light issue that started with a very rough ride on Chickamauga and it got me thinking. All the rage seems to be in very stout gimbal brackets and bow mounts. Would it not be better to have a mount with some flexibility in it to absorb some of the jarring effects of rough water? Is there a product out there that offers both?
    What say you BBC....

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

2. Member
    How big is your "set"?

I pay for my boat and electronics so I learned to go slower than most and try not to beat up my boat and myself in rough water. It's just not worth it.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Triton19x2 View Post
    Just had to send in my bow graph in for a failed back light issue that started with a very rough ride on Chickamauga and it got me thinking. All the rage seems to be in very stout gimbal brackets and bow mounts. Would it not be better to have a mount with some flexibility in it to absorb some of the jarring effects of rough water? Is there a product out there that offers both?
    What say you BBC....
    It's not a bad idea. Especially with the big 12s and 16s, it's a ton of force when you hit an unexpected wave.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

5. Member
    If it is too tough for the graphs........it makes my chiropractor happy also. So........slow down.

I'm broke..so I don't have this issue. Problem solved.

AHAHAHHAHA
    Been fishin' since I was 5 years old...Thanks Grandpa!

Yeah, on that particular day I was just on plane going 28-30 mph. I paid for my boat etc. too and baby it way more than lots of folks I see. My graph is a 12 Live unit and at least half of the back light issues are from the connector coming loose from the board it appears

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

8. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    The problem [OP’s] could be a one-off thing, but for me the rigid electronics mounts have been fine. Never an issue in the hundreds of tournament days I’ve been on Erie. If it’s what I’d call Lake Erie rough—which is 100% of the time at the end of the day [wakes from hundreds of big lake boats]—I’m on plane at 14-18 mph. Just enough to keep the nose up.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jc2bg View Post
    The problem [OP’s] could be a one-off thing, but for me the rigid electronics mounts have been fine. Never an issue in the hundreds of tournament days I’ve been on Erie. If it’s what I’d call Lake Erie rough—which is 100% of the time at the end of the day [wakes from hundreds of big lake boats]—I’m on plane at 14-18 mph. Just enough to keep the nose up.
    The electronics manufacturers have to account for that when they design the graphs and mounts. Part of the reason I'd imagine the costs are so high on graphs vs consumer electronics is the water resistance / shock resistance required.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mark Perry View Post
    I pay for my boat and electronics so I learned to go slower than most and try not to beat up my boat and myself in rough water. It's just not worth it.
    My boat brand rides so good that I don’t need to go slower.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    My boat brand rides so good that I don’t need to go slower.

Probably made with unicorn mane and pixie dust too.

12. Member
    Properly designed and manufactured rugged electronics should easily withstand anything they will be subjected to on a boat. Even on the bow. Now, are some manufacturers cutting corners and are not delivering a rugged product? Possibly.

Quote Originally Posted by Transom View Post
    Properly designed and manufactured rugged electronics should easily withstand anything they will be subjected to on a boat. Even on the bow. Now, are some manufacturers cutting corners and are not delivering a rugged product? Possibly.
    Agreed and evidently the newer version of my unit has a layer of epoxy over that back light connector. It is definitely a harsh environment but it made me think about what would be better in a mount

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

14. Member
    I have a Hennessy mount with BBT gimbals and 2 12” Lowrance. Had multiple cracks in the back of one of my units so you definitely have a valid point. Thankfully Lowrance took care of it under warranty.
    Beat advice like others have said is to slow down. My derby partner and I have a catch phrase we use now when it gets rough. “Ain’t here to break anything”.
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

Throw some rubber shock absorption pads between your gimbal bracket and the actual mount. One of my units at the front vibrated terribly while towing. I threw these on there and it took out 90% of it.
    2022 Skeeter ZXR20
    Yamaha 250 SHO