New seat base support

I am changing out my old Champion seat bases to new styled ones while replacing carpet. Previous ones were a bad design but did bridge the hole in the deck with metal ( aluminum). I wonder if just using through bolts will be enough or if I should engineer a plate or something on the underside to help support where the wood is missing. Lastly, this was done over the livewell and know the exposed wood should somehow be protected since hasn't rotted YET. I am open to suggestions for support and wood sealing as I tend to over engineer sometimes but am under experienced with boats.
    seat base 2.jpgseat base.jpg

2. Member
    Just went through the same deal with my new champion. The previous owner put a thin layer of fiberglass over the hole, then mounted a fix base over it. I removed the seat, removed the carpet, Drilled a hole through the thin layer of fiberglass so the new base sits in the old hole. Drilled new mounting holes and attached the base with bolts, fender washers, and nuts. I then covered it back with the carpet.

I haven't been able to fish out of it yet, but I have sat in the seat and wobbled it around with my body weight. It feels very sturdy and I didn't feel the need to put any kind of backing plate on mine. The decking in that section is pretty thick and solid. My only question was should I have sealed the exposed wood in the rectangle and new screw holes? I didn't do it, but I have contemplated going back and sealing it for good measure. I didn't bother because no other holes in my boat appear to be sealed or siliconed when they were screwed down. It will be sitting in the garage and will only see water if it rains while fishing.

Here are the pics of my before and after
    IMG_6096 (1).PNGIMG_4152.jpgIMG_4953.jpgIMG_4958.jpgIMG_5096.jpg

3. Member
    Looks good . Thanks for sharing. I have an epoxy sealer and will use it on screw holes simply because it is over the live well. Not a well thought out idea to cut out and leave exposed wood over a wet compartment like that .