Thread: Rubrail?

Rubrail?

So I bumped a dock today from some heavy wake and about 18inches of my rub rail come out ( just the middle came out of the saddle) …..
    is there a trick to pushing it back in???

When i have done that, i have been able to use my palm, and slap/smack it back in, not straight into the boat but if the bottom is out, from the bottom up and inward. this over loads the top side some letting the barb of the bottom into the channel, then just tap it back to neutral up, down, they are more manipulatable the warmer it is outside and in the sun.

if the top is out strike at a downward angle and in. If both sides are out get one side in, then smack the other. It is possible to used a rubber mallet but definitely less of a strike with it than your palm

3. Member
    Soapy water has been useful in the past for this along with the prior recommendations of force.

4. Member
    If you knock the rubber insert of the rub rail out, I would check for broken screws in the rub rail itself. Might need to wait till warmer weather and remove the rubber insert and replace any broken screws and recaulk the bottom of the rub rail, then reinsert the rubber. I would start at the bow and find the center of the rubber matches up with the center of the bow and with rubber mallet reinsert the rubber one side at a time. There is a stop fitting at the end of both sides at the stern.

5. Member
    Use a heat gun or good hair dryer. Just heat it and you can push it in by hand starting with bottom and work top in.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

We should clarify the insert in The center of the rub rail popped out or the whole thing popped off some?

7. Member
    All of the above, may have to work it all the way to the back to take buckle out.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

8. Member
    I use a heat gun and warm up about 2ft sections at a time when installing. Majority of inserts require a wide flat edge tool to press the upper lip into place. Gotta be careful not to overheat. Rarely have I been able to use a deadblow hammer and those have been on the round type inserts or the old rope type.