Garmin Force Trolling motor Depth Limiter Install

Garmin sent me the Depth limiter with instructions. Anyone done this yet? Does the trolling motor have to be deployed. How hard is it to get the old piece out with a screwdriver?

Following, as I have one also and looking for tips to install. Specifically how to take the old ring off.
    Enjoying life in Southern Illinois

It's very easy. Just follow the instructions. Yes. Deploy the TM and support it from below. Break the tabs off the old collar with a screw driver then snip the collar in two places with a pair of diagonal cutters. Then install the new collar making sure you seat it as shown in the instructions.
    Last edited by 86 inches; 01-31-2023 at 11:15 AM.
    1994 201 Champ re-powered with a 250 HO G2 E250LHAFA 05438419

4. Member
    Is Garmin sending this out free of charge?
    Last edited by zred; 01-31-2023 at 08:57 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by zred View Post
    Is Garmin sending this out free of charge?
    I did receive mine free after I called them.

Mine didn't cost anything either.

7. Member
    This turned out to be a mess. got the old piece out and the first part of the new piece. Tried to get the 2nd piece in and no way it fits. Tapped it some with a hammer and got it partially in and tried to get it out and it snapped. So now i need to figure out how to get both pieces out. Stuff shouldnt be this difficult. For those of you that have done this how did you get both pieces of the new sleeve to fit in along the shaft?

Quote Originally Posted by rangerjignpig View Post
    This turned out to be a mess. got the old piece out and the first part of the new piece. Tried to get the 2nd piece in and no way it fits. Tapped it some with a hammer and got it partially in and tried to get it out and it snapped. So now i need to figure out how to get both pieces out. Stuff shouldnt be this difficult. For those of you that have done this how did you get both pieces of the new sleeve to fit in along the shaft?
    your post had me curious so I went in the garage to see how this fits. Mine does not need to snap on it aligns and fits like a glove. Maybe try some lubricant. I would call Garmin as there customer support is very good.
    Last edited by illinifish; 02-05-2023 at 05:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by illinifish View Post
    your post had me curious so I went in the garage to see how this fits. Mine does not need to snap on it aligns and fits like a glove. Maybe try some lubricant. I would call Garmin as there customer support is very good.
    Yep. Me, too. I was going to pull mine apart and make a video but the light sucks right now. My install was pretty straight forward. No hammers. No lube. I think I had the depth adjustment collar loose and the motor deployed.

I would be careful about putting lube on it. I've read somewhere in the manual to be careful not to ever get any lube inside the depth adjustment collar or the motor will slip. I think if you use it for this job, some of that grease will find it's way to where it aint supposed to be. The directions don't mention lube... or a hammer, btw.

Edit. The manual warns the user not to lubricate the shaft. Doing so will cause it to slip. (The depth adjustment collar won't be able to hold)
    Last edited by 86 inches; 02-07-2023 at 07:39 AM.

11. Member
    maybe i need to loosen the depth adjustment collar first. Ill try that. So you guys that got it done, did you have to loosen the depth adjustment collar and have the motor deployed?

You definitely can't do it with the motor in the stored position

Here is a link to the Garmin support page on this topic. The instructions that come with the part are pictures only. This page provides the description. While helpful, it doesn't mention anything about the position of the motor or whether or not the depth adjustment collar has to be loosened. However, if you look at the pictures, you will see that the motor is deployed. It just makes sense that if the inside collars don't slide in smoothly, you might have the loosen the depth adjustment collar to get a little play in the shaft to prevent binding.

https://support.garmin.com/en-US/?fa...ter&tab=topics

14. Member
    Loosening the depth adjustment collar was the trick. Wish the instructions would have said that.

15. Member
    What is the issue? I just purchased a new 50" Garmin Force and will be installing on Saturday. Wonder if the new TM's have the issue resolved?

Quote Originally Posted by BassCatSC View Post
    What is the issue? I just purchased a new 50" Garmin Force and will be installing on Saturday. Wonder if the new TM's have the issue resolved?
    The head of the unit must provide clearance for the wrapped wires. If the head slides down and the coil clearance is limited you may or will get an error. I only had this happen twice when it was real rough on Lake Ozarks. The on the water fix is to loosen the adjustment and pull up the head then retighten. The collar prevents the head from sliding down.

Yes. It acts as a spacer. Previously, you just had to be careful not to lower the motor too far. I never had a problem. I was just careful to tighten the depth adjustment collar. It won't slip if you do this carefully and if the shaft is clean and not lubricated. Be careful with your end of the day wipe down to not get BBS or whatever on it.

The other problem - and the one I had - is with the original bushing on top of the servo housing. Some users had a problem with that bushing wearing where it accepts the alignment key. Others had problems with it actually cracking. Once the alignment bushing fails, the motor can have problems with functions such as holding it's spot lock. The new part is much less prone to failure.

Garmin addressed this quite a while ago. New motors should already have the superceded part.