Question about Never Seize and Thread Locker

I discovered a problem with one of the bolts that holds the brake caliper to the backing plate coming out. It is completely gone and the other one was loose.
    I replaced the brake pads several months ago and used never seize when reinstalling the bolts. I also used blue thread locker but after this bolt backed out I wonder if the Never-Seize and Thread locker should be used together or if I did something else wrong.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

2. Member
    You cant use them together. Anytime you used never-seize, torque the bolts about 10% higher.

Quote Originally Posted by sushi520vx View Post
    You cant use them together. Anytime you used never-seize, torque the bolts about 10% higher.
    Thanks I don’t know where I got the idea to use the never seize but it does not seem like a good idea now. Once the weather breaks, I will remove the bolts, clean them and reinstall with thread locker.

4. Member
    Torque ‘‘em and the will stay
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

5. Member
    Ron is right, if you torque them they will stay. I suggest anti seize on dissimilar metals as they tend to corrode. For your brake caliper bolts I would clean them and loc tite them. Most auto manufacturers loctite those from the factory.

6. Member
    Ive worked over 30yrs on machinery, I learned a lot over the years. Any metal to metal contact, I use never seize. Completely cover the surface and never expect it to spread itself as you tighten the bolt. And I use dielectric grease on every electrical connection outdoors. Also, never seize gaskets depending on where they are used and for what.

7. Member
    If it does not have a washer, use Loctite on brake pin threads. Anti-sieze and Loctite don't mix (successfully).

8. Member
    Anti-seize compounds are friction modifiers as well. If you torque bolts with it applied you are actually exceeding the clamping force rating. In most cases this is not an issue but generally 25-35% torque reduction is recommended.
    https://www.antiseize.com/PDFs/torqu...ifications.pdf
    2020 VEXUS 1880 Victor Red
    Merc 115 HP Pro XS
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80 I-Link MDI
    Helix 10 MEGA+ MSI
    Helix 9 x 2 MEGA+ MDI
    Live Image FFS
    2021 Aluminum Trailer
    10' Talons w/sandwich brackets

9. Member
    Don`t use any form of grease on these bolts! Use grip washers and loctite only. Trust me been there and done that!!

I feel better now.
    I took the advise and removed, cleaned, applied thread locker and torqued the 4 bolts yesterday.
    I took the tools with me to the lake and after fishing in the morning, I did the work while the boat was off the trailer. Took about 10 min.

11. Member
    I've done a lot of my own car brakes and have never used either on the caliper bolts.
    Maybe you didn't tighten them? 1/2" drive socket?
    1997 Ranger 692VS
    2014 Mercury 175 Pro XS 2B111166