Pro Mariner Chargers JUNK?

Have any of you had trouble with warranty repair on a Pro Mariner battery charger?

I bought four of these for my 2 boats 2- 3 battery banks and 2- 1 battery banks

I've had 3 go bad within 19 months? Boats are kept in a garage and between both boats I'd estimate they were used 40 times total.

My conversation with them this past week on 2 of their chargers is they won't honor the warranty even though they have a stated 2 year warranty to the first consumer.

One of the 3 bank and one of the 1 bank chargers show they were made back in 08/17. Bought both from the same dealer who got them thru a distributor.

They won't honor the warranty due to the manufacturer date? I've had to have the other 3 bank replaced early last year. All were purchased on 06/10/2021.

I've still got to raise more HELL up the chain, as their Tech department took me 3 weeks to reach and they never once returned a call! They don't seem to be very customer friendly!

Have any of you had bad luck with these chargers? I'm going back to Genius or Minn Kota chargers.

Thanks Glynn

2. Member
    Yes, I did. Bought it at West Marine. After it boiled 2 grp27's dry I took it back and the guy there said they were having a lot of returns/problems with them. Turns out they're little more than a glorified 12v power source. On the one I had it did not matter the state of the battery it had an 8 hour algorithm that it was going to run.

3. Member
    I have one and it is not my favorite. My Pro Mariner (a Gen 3 as I remember) will run a "restore" cycle every so many charges whether you want it to or not. One of those high voltage cycles to break down potential sulfation that can also reduce the water levels in the cells. The inline fuses are also the cheap cartridge type instead of automotive type fuses. Not sure if they are actually lower quality but I prefer the auto type.

I only use my Pro Mariner to maintain my backup starting battery that sits on the garage floor. I run a Noco Genius GenPro 10x3 now and have for a year and it is lightyears better.

John Walker - Matthews NC

2021 Ranger RT198P - Mercury 150 4S - Enertia Eco
    VesselView Link - MotorGuide Tour Pro - Lowrance Carbons

I had good luck with the one I had, a 4 bank Elite model. The one time I did have an issue--one of the banks got itself switched into AGM mode somehow and would not switch back--they replaced the whole thing without any trouble. To be fair, I was the original owner. I sold it when it was probably 5 years old when I went to lithium, just because it wasn't compatible. I run a NOCO now that charges my electronics battery and cranking battery (it lives in the bilge alongside a separate 36v charger for my trolling motor batteries) and it's been good too.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360, Garmin 106 SV, LVS 34

5. Member
    Few years back, on a brand new boat, after being plugged in for approx 5 minutes, I had 3 ft v flames coming from it. Grabbed fire extinguisher and put fire out. Thankfully I happened to catch the fire before losing entire boat. After dealership inspected everything, it was properly wired, just a faulty unit. In the end, they immediately made good on everything, including an upgrade to their best unit

I had a bad experience with one many years ago and at the time upgraded to the Minn Kota just due to no confidence in it.
    Stroker DC21 Mercury 250 XB

7. Lowrance/Garmin/GPS Moderator fishin couillon's Avatar
    I've bought a few overtime and it seems that they always went out right when the warranty was up......theybwould replace for a small fee which was cheaper than buying a new one but I was always back at square one......just had to move away from them and go with another brand.....
    YOU are not entitled to what I have earned!!!!!

2014 Phoenix 619 Pro / 2014 Mercury 200 Pro XS

8. Member
    I did not have a good experience with one of their chargers or their C/S either. After their tech department assured me that the problem was my batteries, and after replacing the batteries, it turned out to be the charger. One or two months out of warranty. Switched to MK after that.
    2019 BCB Classic
    Merc V8 200 4S

9. Member
    Thanks guys after 10 calls they are going to replace with a Ge3 remanufactured unit.

Not what I expected but ended up buying a Genius today.

Guess I'll keep the Pro Mariner as a charger for lawn mower and my Razor and ATV's.

Won't be buying another one. Txs again. Glynn

10. Member
    I have had 6 years of good service from a ProSport 3 bank charger, so-far.

11. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Started out with a BPS version and that went out in 6 months, BPS swapped it out for the Pro-Mariner 3 bank that one also 6 months warranty replace this one was better 8 months. Went with a Noco Genius no problems 4 years later.

12. Member
    I have one from maybe 2017 that has been great. It's the Cabelas version, but Pro Mariner made it. I believe it's a 20amp 3 bank. It's on my pontoon boat plugged in 24/7 for the last 8 months or so...
    1994 Ranger 492VS
    2004 Optimax 225 - 0T920364
    6" Hydro Dynamics Manual Jack Plate
    24p Fury 4
    24v 47" Lowrance Ghost / Lowrance HDS

13. Member
    I don't know which ones to trust. I have three MinnKota chargers sitting in my shop right now and each one has one bank not working.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by apenland01 View Post
    I have one from maybe 2017 that has been great. It's the Cabelas version, but Pro Mariner made it. I believe it's a 20amp 3 bank. It's on my pontoon boat plugged in 24/7 for the last 8 months or so...
    I have one of these for 11 years now. Plugged in 9 months, 24/7 every year. Never had a problem.

15. Member
    Have owned most chargers vice the BP house brand. All have their idiosyncrasies. Presently have a Noco Genius 10x4 and it has worked great for one season so far. The ol' MK 460PC still works but is likely going to be sold real soon. It had its moments but worked pretty good for 6 years.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by squib View Post
    I don't know which ones to trust. I have three MinnKota chargers sitting in my shop right now and each one has one bank not working.
    I wouldn't trust those three.

The Pro Mariner ProSport I have has worked fine for 6 years but when it goes south I think I'll get a Genius cause they sound smart.