Thread: Shifting

Shifting

1997 175 EFI. Replaced the water pump, now it's difficult to shift into forward, gets stuck. If I slide the unit down a bit to start over on the mating of the lower to the upper process, what should be my step by step.

2. Member
    everything in neutral , try 2.5 forum one more down please
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by almostakeeper View Post
    1997 175 EFI. Replaced the water pump, now it's difficult to shift into forward, gets stuck. If I slide the unit down a bit to start over on the mating of the lower to the upper process, what should be my step by step.
    Moving post to 2.5L forum for you.

Please clarify: Is the engine RUNNING when you are attempting to shift?

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

4. Member
    I'm thinking I have it borderline between neutral and either forward or reverse when I reinserted the lower unit. The shifter gets sticky on the water and I have to move the prop a bit to move it into gear in the garage. I'm gonna pull it back out, find dead nut's neutral and retry.

5. Member
    when your cable is adjusted correctly and shift slide is in neutral position shift spline will line up perfectly cant be half way , its normal to have to move prop when shifting without it running
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................