Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    BBC SPONSOR

Bass Pro baitcasting reels

Looking for any honest reviews, good or, bad. Looking for Jonny Morris Carbon lite & Platinum signature.

2. Member
    If you like Doyo (Lews, Abu, KastKing) then you’ll like BPS reels. I played with a pro qualifier yesterday and was very impressed with it.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

3. Member
    This is not a directly personal review, but I have a close friend that has used Lew’s reels for several years, and used Abu Garcia Re o’s before that. He has purchased several BassPro reels over the last three years and has repeatedly told me that they are the best reels on the market AT THE PRICE POINT. He compares the feel and performance to the premium Revo reels at about 2/3 the cost. I’ll let you know in a few months if he is correct as I have purchased two of his BassPro reels to replace two of my old reels.

4. Ft Gibson Lake America lakefolk's Avatar
    all i use are pro qualifiers and they have all been and still are great.. also the 1 time i used their customer service it was also great.. i dropped a side plate in the lake and called CS to find out how to buy a replacement and they sent me one free..

"Being a winner is more than getting a first place trophy, it is acting like the effort was an honor and the trophy is just a decoration."

"A successful man is one who can lay a firm foundation with the bricks others have thrown at him"

5. Member
    I work at Bass Pro and I've used every major brand of casting reel. I honestly believe that the Carbonlite 2.0 reel is one of the best values on the market. It's a $129.99 reel that casts very well, has a good braking system, and comes in RH and LH in several different gear ratios. They also offer specials on Carbonlite combos and reels for major promotions. I have one and it's a very good reel. When it comes to the Johnny Morris Signature and Platinum series I think they are very nice reels but you can get an Abu - Daiwa - Shimano for the same price so I don't see the same value. One of the biggest benefits they offer is that it's easy to return a defective product if necessary. Unless the reel has blood or tire tracks on it we will generally take it back and offer you a credit.

6. Member
    The Johnny Morris line of reels are bullet proof. I buy any chrome 7.1:1 I find on ebay. The new versions are great too.

7. Member
    I have one of the PQ reels I got a few years ago for people that fish with me but didnt bring tackle with them. Got it cheap, like $59. I have used it a few times and it seems pretty solid.

I have 3 Johnny Morris Signature baitcasters, 2 of which are 11 and 12 years old. Solid and smooth reel. I have used them alot. The last one I bought is 8 years old and all are still going strong.

9. Member
    I think I have 7-8 of the chrome JM. A few are newer but most are 10-12 years. No complaints.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

10. #FRB
    I have an old Pro Qualifier I bought at least 10 years ago and it looks like a rebadged Abu reel. It's getting a little tired all around but I would be too from what that reel has been through. While it's been a good reel I'll still replace it with a Curado.
    2023 Xpress H18 with 115 SHO and Powertech NRS4 21p
    8" Bob's Action Jack
    Garmin Echomap 12, 10, 9, and LVS34 networked with Netgear Switch
    Ultrex
    Trick Steps and Ramp N Clamp
    Pulled by a 2016 single cab HEMI Ram

Treat others like you want to be treated when on the water EVEN WHEN IN A TOURNAMENT! No fish is worth having a confrontation because you cut someone off or came in on top of someone.

11. Member
    I have 5 or 6 PQ’s no problems out of any of them. One was a little noisy when reeling. But it worked fine, I polished the gears and it smoothed it out. They BPS typically has them on sale during the classic but it is usually in store only.

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sflam123 View Post
    This is not a directly personal review, but I have a close friend that has used Lew’s reels for several years, and used Abu Garcia Re o’s before that. He has purchased several BassPro reels over the last three years and has repeatedly told me that they are the best reels on the market AT THE PRICE POINT. He compares the feel and performance to the premium Revo reels at about 2/3 the cost. I’ll let you know in a few months if he is correct as I have purchased two of his BassPro reels to replace two of my old reels.
    it’s because they’re the same reel…

Carbonlite 1.0 and 2.0. Very good reels. The 1.0 have had to change out the clutch engagement springs. Did do bearing upgrades and drag washers polishing. But solid quality
    JEFF MURRAY USMC
    RANGER Z521C & 15 VERADO PRO 250
    DEEP CREEK LURES and ROSE JIGS
    GREENFISH TACKLE and ALX RODS

14. Member
    All I use are Doyo reels, either Lew's or BPS. Carry 28 in the boat, disassemble and clean all of them every winter. Zero problems.

15. Member
    I have several PQ reels , never done anything to them but a squirt of oil every once in a while --no issues .
    1988 Ranger 364V
    150HP Merc Black Max

16. Member
    I'll add that if you're looking at the Platinum for $199, you can get the same reel in a Lew's for 149-159. The maroon KVD is the same reel.

17. Member
    If you are looking at spending 199$ for a BPS reel look christopher stewart discount tackle up on FB and you can get a lews tourney pro for 159$ it retails for 200$ I have tried every reel Lews makes and the tourney pro is the best one you can get. I even have the new $499 elite TI and the elite is smoother on the handle/gears but I still think the TP throws a lighter bait better. The elite has a much improved braking system tho.

I have the last two years versions of the Pro Qualifiers and one Carbon Lite and they are so much better than the older versions. They cast right with my Curados.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

19. Member
    The Pro Qualifier is a solid choice, but the Carbon Lite is a step up. Wait until the spring classic and trade in an old reel and get a better deal on one.

20. Member
    I have a older carbonlite and it will not give up. Been a great light weight reel. I have cleaned and lubed it and it’s as smooth as new.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast