Thread: WTB Skeeter

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

WTB Skeeter

I have been thinking about purchasing a new or lightly used skeeter. I’m specifically interested in the ZX 200 or the ZXR 19 or ZXR 20 series. Can anyone give me feedback on likes, dislikes or talk me into something else? I know where a ZXR 21 is for sale, seems like a great deal on it compared to what I’m seeing advertised on line but I think it’s over kill for my needs. If someone has a ZXR 21, feel free to comment. Thanks for your response!

2. Member
    I have a ZX250 and it works for me!
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

3. Member
    Just curious why you think a 21 is overkill? You’re already looking at 20, not a big leap for more room.

4. Member
    I've run the ZXR20 and ZXR21. Both have been great for me but I prefer the ZXR21 just to have the additional room. It is also more comfortable in rough water in my opinion.

5. Member
    To be honest, I’m making a pretty big leap from the boat I’m currently fishing out of. I now fish out of a Triton 179 TRX, it’s under powered with the 115 HP and has a terrible hole shot. I was really interested in the ZXR 19 but know one in my area has one in stock. Seems like the 20 to 21 foot boats are what everyone has in stock. I like to fish in shallow skinny water at times and I was concerned about the 21 footer being a bit harder to maneuver in those situations.

I bass tournament fished for 25 years, I don’t anymore, just crappie fish. The largest bass boat that I ever had was 19’. I know I’m probably overthinking all of this but I guess I’m like everyone else when it comes to a major purchase. I don’t want to regret my decision after the fact.

6. Member
    You can't go wrong with any of the boats you mentioned including the zxr21. The length of the boat is not going to make it draft deeper. My ZXR20 is as easy to manuver around as my ranger Z119C was. The ride of the zxr's is really tough to beat and they handle really well. I will say they take some driver input compared to my ranger but you had to drive that as well. My zxr20 has been a solid boat and very comfortable to fish out of. The wide front deck is really nice. All the ones you mentioned will be a night and day difference vs your triton size wise. The best way I have been able to discribe my zxr is it handles and rides more like my champion while fishing with the TM down is stable more like my ranger was.

Find one in any size that you feel is a good deal and you will be happy. The longer typically the better the ride when it starts to get choppy and rough.

7. Member
    Thanks for the input! The way you described the ZXR has me excited about the possibility of owning one. I have been in many champions and love the ride. As far as fish ability they don’t get better than a Ranger! I’m just a poor boy and can’t afford one.

8. Member
    Had a 2017 ZX200 I sold. Was not crazy about the ride in chop. Ended up getting a ZX250 and super happy with my decision. The ZX200 fished great and layout was fine.

9. Member
    Psshhhhh I’m not rich either, I could have had a Ranger or a Skeeter and I chose the better boat for the money, happy Skeeter owner here. That out of the way I can’t get into the FXR as I don’t have one. I will say I can understand if you don’t want or need a bigger boat, they aren’t for everyone. But if you can have one, as in room
    for it, and or fish bigger water ever you should consider it. I was planning a 20’ boat moving up from a 19’ Ranger. I had never even thought about a 21 until I went and looked at one. I realized fast that more was going to be better. Again granted those were for my needs. I don’t want to try and talk you into something you don’t want or need. But if you aren’t sure, go look at the 21’ you like and is priced right. It can’t hurt to just look at your options.

10. Member
    I have ZX225 19'11" I think, running SHO 225, year is 2020. I've had experience with ProCraft, BassCat, Triton and Stratos (back in the day).
    I can honestly say, for the best ride and best secure feeling on the water, the Skeeter has always amazed me. The old ProCraft days of a heavy boat, but with better handling and more speed is the Skeeter.
    I agree with some of the threads below, consider the extra length. You will never regret the ability to take just a slightly bigger wake and the windy days is no challenge for the 20' Skeeters.

11. Member
    Get the biggest boat you can afford. And of course be able to store indoors if that is a factor. The bigger boat has more storage and the ride will be smoother especially in rough water. I will never go back to boat below 20'.
    2018 Skeeter ZX250
    2018 Yamaha SHO 250

I've had my used ZX for less than a year, as most know picked it up in 22 for a nice deal due to having a replaced powerhead. It's been fun, but if I'm honest if I were to replace and buy a new boat tomorrow, ie spending 70-80K or so, I'm not sure it would be a Skeeter.

Now, since I lit the fire, bear in mind mine is a 2016 and I know they have made some changes/improvements. But things that nag at me a bit are the Aluminum Deck setup - I guess it's a love/hate situation. it's super solid yes, but I'm always finding loose screws here and there that require tightening, or finding a random loose screw in the bilge even. A boat with an outboard roaring down the lake is just a screw vibrating machine I suppose. With traditional fiberglass deck construction you don't have to worry about all those torx screws.

Access is another issue. The Bilge hatches on the ZX are a travesty. They have improved that with the FXR hatches, but I think some models still used the smaller middle half lid? Also, Conosle/gunwale wiring access could be much better also.

Deck space - mines a ZX225, which is 19 and half essentially, but it just doesn't seem like I have enough rod room on the deck. It gets really crowded with more than 3 rods on a side up front. A 20 or 21ft would alleviate that somewhat, but you see some of the wider deck boats that have a lot more room up front. The built in rod strap position doesn't seem correct either.

Center Seat/cooler - this is just a personal thing, but not having any center console storage or under seat storage is super annoying. I've actually gone to re-purposing my center seat cooler to dry storage, and just carry an external cooler.

I still love my boat, and have no plans to replace it anytime soon or anything, but these are some of the things I've come across. And as mentioned I believe they have improved on some of them. But tbh if buying again I would also be looking at Basscat, Phoenix, and Blazer most likely, and 20ft at a minimum with a 250 or 300. But plan to ride this one for a while :).

Sent you a message!!
    Chris Shields

Quantum Fishing
    All-Terrain Tackle
    Blackfish Gear
    Power Pole
    Legit Custom Rods

14. Member
    I fish a lot of skinny water in my 21' with no problem.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

15. Member
    I have a ZXR 21, you would be amazed where you can get that boat in. Also love all of the extra room, like fishing off a dock. If you fill all the storage up you have way too much stuff…..
    2021 Skeeter ZXR21 Yamaha SHO 250
    1993 Ranger 372 Mercury 150 XR6

16. Member
    Well folks, I appreciate all the input! I decided to buy a new ZXR 20. I am supposed to pick it up next week, I think I will be a happy man!

17. Member
    Post pics when you pick it up!

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vrybusy View Post
    Post pics when you pick it up!
    Same colors for 2+ years now. Not gonna be any different. Skeeter, could you please release some new colors this year?

19. Member
    Congrats and yes post pics

20. Member

Here it is!

I hope I uploaded the pic okay. 2 hours of break in time. Anyone have any sound advice for the next 8 hours?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast