Surface Gap replacement for NGK BUZHW

Been running BUZHW in my 225 promax for years but I see they've discontinued them. Anybody know why? What is a good surface gap substitute for them? I thought about throwing some bu8h in there to see how it runs, but been told the Z resistor plug helps with RFI in the digital ECUs. I'm aware of the br8(9)hs-10 plugs guys like to run, but I like my surface gaps.
    1995 Allison XB-2003 225 Super Mag. It's slow and I'm ok with that.

2. Member
    ive run some BU8H IN some ran good rans some BR8 in some as well BUZ8H will run also , i dont see also of RFI in those engines , how much time do you spend above 8000
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Merc says to use the Champion QL76V in place of the BUZHW. Of course- we switched the opposite way several decades ago...

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Can't say I've heard anybody say how great one of these runs with Champions in it, lol. NGK says they discontinued the plug due to a shortage of Tungsten, didn't know that was a thing.

5. Member
    It shows on some sites that they are still available, might be a good time to stock up and buy extras.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Unless they had some large stock of them on hand, it's unlikely (both OEM and NGK are indicating it's NLA from what I see). One of the hard things about having a website: Requires constant/regular updating of the supersession and NLA data.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Member
    West Marine shows in stock and on clearance but as you say, never really know. That’s online, not in stock in stores.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    They apparently only had one (1) plug as of this morning.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    They apparently only had one (1) plug as of this morning.
    I saw the same thing a few days ago, click the up arrow and when qty went to 2 it said out of stock.

10. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Now if we can just find 5 other dealers that have "1" left....

Just installed my last set of them yesterday, QL76V's are on order.