Lithium battery with Evinrude outboard FICHT? pre-ETEC

Hello BBC,

(This was asked in Electrical, but it was suggested to ask here instead....)

Is anyone running a lithium battery for starting battery on their boat with a pre-ETEC Evinrude outboard? If yes, what are your thoughts so far (please include how long you've been using). did you have to do anything in addition to just removing and reattaching your wires to the former starting battery? LIke adding a voltage regulator. Thoughts on 100 Ah vs. 120 Ah battery? specifically, does a lithium battery with 120Ah have higher CCA than a 100 Ah battery, because I don't see CCA posted on the respective battery websites?

My situation: I am currently running a 2004 Triton TR21X with 2004 Evinrude 225 outboard, and am looking at removing the lead battery and installing a lithium battery rated for starting (e.g. Ionic, IMpulse). I would also connect electronics to it, which currently are: Lowrance Elite TI 9 and 5 on dash, Elite TI 7 on bow, plus adding 9" Garmin Echomap plus Livescope (plus the usual livewell pumps, bilge, lights, etc.). I want to have room to upgrade these units without running into a situation of being underpowered.

...And YES, I did do a search first. I searched "FICHT" in this forum and found NO posts that comment on this situation. There was some on lithium and ETEC motors, but I don't assume that applies to pre-ETEC motors.... (If you have some direct knowledge that pre-ETEC motors act same as ETEC motors with respect to this issue, please state so and how you know this.)

Thank you in advance.

2. Member
    Just to be sure your are aware- the Evinrude battery charging system was designed for lead acid batteries. This applies to the Ficht technology as well. Evinrude stated in a bulletin to follow the recommendation of the battery manufacturer. Additional equipment may be required when installing a lithium battery.

IMHO I suspect there will be no problem and a lithium battery manufacturer will probably say the same. I do understand the advantages when it comes to trolling motor batteries for weight savings and electrical performance. However as a main engine cranking battery I see high cost to low value. And again IMO, I find many people put too much dependence on the cranking battery to operate boat related devices live well, sonar, etc, throughout the day. Add a lithium battery for these devices and recharge as needed alongside trolling motor batteries. Keep the cranking battery for the engine.

Here is the text from the Evinrude service bulletin:

February 16, 2017
    Service Bulletin No. 2017-02(D)
    Models: All EvinrudeŽ Outboards
    SUBJECT: Revised Battery Recommendations
    This bulletin is to inform Evinrude dealers of a revision to the battery recommendations for all Evinrude outboards.
    The battery charging system of Evinrude outboards is designed for use with lead acid type batteries ONLY, including “AGM” and “Gel” type batteries.
    If other battery types, such as lithium ion batteries are used with an Evinrude outboard, installation of additional equipment may be required as defined by the battery manufacturer.
    -----

A Technical troubleshooter possessing more tools than talent !