Question Vesselview - Dedicated cell phone

Purchased a boat last season with a 150HP and I added Vesselview to it. I have a large phone, Galaxy Fold and I really don't like having it sit in the cup holder. I am thinking about picking up a used cell phone to dedicate just for use with Vesselview. This way I could make an appropriate mount and power, plus easier when my son uses the boat I am certain he is monitoring the engine. He generally doesn't keep his phone out when fishing.
    Has anyone done this? Plus, it would be a back phone which is always good on the boat. Curious if people have some preferred cell phone for direct sunlight. I use Android, my son uses Apple so curious if there are any differences in the version of Vesselview too.
    2015 Crestliner VT 19 Pro Edition
    2015 Mercury 150 HP 4 Stroke
    Run mostly the Hudson river and creeks

2. Member
    I have an iPad mini in my boat most of the time for many things. I run the vessel view on it or my android phone, depending how I am using the iPad. Sometimes I will run different mapping or mirror the forward imaging on the lowrance app on the iPad for the guy in back. I used an old android before the iPad. VV works the same on both OS's.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

3. Member
    Thanks, I guess it will come down to mounting options or size. I do use the Navionics mobile app so a larger screen would be beneficial. I could simply hotspot my phone for a tablet I guess. Thanks

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Most any android or ios device can be used. There are a number of good mounts out there, ROKK seems to be one of the fairly robust ones.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    I have had great luck buying strip of peel and stick Velcro three inches wide and several feet long.

Cut a piece that matches the back of your phone… (use the soft side of the velcro.)

HUAYY 3 Inches Width 1.5 Yards Length | self-Adhesive Hook and Loop Style Sheets | Super Sticky Glue Nylon Patch | Strips | Patch | Fastener,Black (3in x 1.5yd) <EDIT- REVIEW ANNOUNCEMENTS>
    Then, cut a piece of the other side of the velcro (the hard side) that is slightly longer than your phone. Peel and stick it where you want your phone on your dash.

You can now just stick it wherever you want and easily remove it. No drilling,… no nothing.

I have never had a 9” Android or Iphone 14 Pro Max come loose in very rough water using this method.

Charlie
    Last edited by EuropeanAM; 02-13-2023 at 02:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    Most any android or ios device can be used. There are a number of good mounts out there, ROKK seems to be one of the fairly robust ones.
    Scanstrut RLS-508-401 ROKK Mini for Tablet with Screw Down Mount Looks like the ticket, thanks Don.

2023 RT188P, 115 ProXS CT, HDS Live 12 Console, FS 7 Bow, Ultrex 80US2 45”

7. Member
    I do like the idea of no holes drilled. But thinking of getting a drink cup holder of some sort. The drink cup is easily removed or modified on my dash and replaceable if I modify is like $3.

8. Member
    Any of the $20/$30 android phones from Walmart will work just fine.