Black Screen of Death

Turned the unit on and the buttons lit up but not the screen. If I touch the screen it beeps like it is working but I can't see anything. I restarted it twice and the last time the screen lit on the left side and faded to the right....when I pushed the power button it went black again. I am thinking this is a "back light" issue. The unit is out of warranty and I was thinking about trying out Rudolph's electronic repair in Maine. Has anyone had this issue and how did you handle the issue?
    Back light fail.jpgBack light fail2.jpg
    Last edited by Triton19x2; 01-28-2023 at 09:01 PM.

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

2. Member
    if you can't get to the backlight control to check that then do a hard reset. Disconnect any ethernet cable before the hard reset.

Quote Originally Posted by Basshopper View Post
    if you can't get to the backlight control to check that then do a hard reset. Disconnect any ethernet cable before the hard reset.
    Thanks, I’ll try that. To be clear I can press the on button multiple times and see the brightness of the buttons dim and then go back to full brightness when I press it enough

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

Check to see if your voltage is to low going to the unit...had a buddy with a similar problem and once we re-wired direct to the battery, the problem was fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by schmidte View Post
    Check to see if your voltage is to low going to the unit...had a buddy with a similar problem and once we re-wired direct to the battery, the problem was fixed.
    Thanks, the one time I did get it halfway on the volts showed at 12.3. I have a 8awg harness going straight to the battery

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

Well, its off to Maine and Rudolph's Electronic Repair. Looks like he has done several "back light" repairs and the Live units seem to have more issues with this. The contact module seems to come loose and on later models Lowrance has been adding epoxy on help hold it down to the board. Of coarse when I got my boat the Live had just come out. This is my bow unit so it gets jarred around in rough water more than my console unit does. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739

7. Member

Rudolphs

Quote Originally Posted by Triton19x2 View Post
    Well, its off to Maine and Rudolph's Electronic Repair. Looks like he has done several "back light" repairs and the Live units seem to have more issues with this. The contact module seems to come loose and on later models Lowrance has been adding epoxy on help hold it down to the board. Of coarse when I got my boat the Live had just come out. This is my bow unit so it gets jarred around in rough water more than my console unit does. I'll let y'all know how it goes.

I had the same issue with one of my HDS 12 Lives. I was 4 months out of warranty and Lowrance would only work with possible repair with a required upfront payment for replacement (if they could not repair). I told Lowrance that I could purchase a new 12 cheaper from BPS/Cabela's for what they were quoting me. While I understand warranties....my 2020 Caymas only has 78 hours...so it was not a over-usage issue. I researched this site and came across Rudolph Electronic Repair (search you tube or go to the website to see some of his repairs). I sent my unit to Chad and he had it fixed in 3 days. Lowrance evidently has a history of "back light" issues. He also sent me a video of the issue and repair. Chad is amazing and hard to find expert in the electronic field. Hope this helps.

Quote Originally Posted by CaymasTom View Post
    I had the same issue with one of my HDS 12 Lives. I was 4 months out of warranty and Lowrance would only work with possible repair with a required upfront payment for replacement (if they could not repair). I told Lowrance that I could purchase a new 12 cheaper from BPS/Cabela's for what they were quoting me. While I understand warranties....my 2020 Caymas only has 78 hours...so it was not an over-usage issue. I researched this site and came across Rudolph Electronic Repair (search you tube or go to the website to see some of his repairs). I sent my unit to Chad and he had it fixed in 3 days. Lowrance evidently has a history of "back light" issues. He also sent me a video of the issue and repair. Chad is amazing and hard to find expert in the electronic field. Hope this helps.
    Thanks for that conformation! That really cool for him to send a video of the repair. He said he would turn mine around the same day he gets it! Can’t beat that

2019 721 ProXs 4S 250
    2B599739