Tilt trim problems

Mercury optimax 250
    S/N- 2B118051

Recently had water intrusion on my tilt trim system due to a seal failure at the end cap of the trim piston. I removed the end caps on both trim pistons, also removed the end cap on the tilt ram. Removed almost all of the fluid. I know this is not the proper way to remove the trim fluid, but the water intrusion wasnt very bad.

I put everything back together with the new parts. Started adding fluid with the motor trimmed all the way up on the safety latch. When is was full, I went to cycle trim down and go through the process. Well, when I turned the manual relief vavle to relieve pressure only a little pressure left of, enough to drop the motor. Tried to trim it back up and it wouldnt go. Took me and another buddy with everything we had to lift it back up to the safety latch. Went through this process a few times. The manual relief vavle is not relieving all the pressure in the system.

When I had the trin ram out, did I damage something and not know it? I'm very confused by this, any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!
    Last edited by Bassmaster09; 01-28-2023 at 06:20 PM. Reason: Spelling

2. Member
    How much fluid did you add? Does the trim motor whine? If you lift the motor past the safety latch and let it go does it hold at any position? It sounds to me like you have air in the system and it will take a few cycles to bleed off. Also allow a few minutes between cycles to allow the fluid to go from foam to liquid.
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill

3. Member
    I added a fair amount, I dont think I am near full yet though. Trim motor whines a little. It will hold once the motor hits the trim pistons when letting it off the safety latch by hand.

I've done a few cycles now, with no improvement. I can't even get anymore fluid into it due to the pressure not releasing completely

4. Member
    I'm guessing I have a bunch of air still in the system. What is the proper way to get it out of my system with what I am describing in above post.

Thank you

5. Member
    lower bow of boat release engine with manual release valve allow it to fully tilt all the way down let it set for hour like that close valve see if engine will raise to full up and refill , sometimes it takes more than one time
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

6. Member
    Fixed. Turns out I wasnt doing it correctly. I did some digging online and found the way to get fluid in it.

With the motor on the safety latch I took the yellow fill cap off. I had my buddy trim up while I added fluid until it was able to lift itself off the safety latch. Then we went through the process of bleeding the rest of the air and topping off the fluid. Works like a charm now

7. Member
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster09 View Post
    Fixed. Turns out I wasnt doing it correctly. I did some digging online and found the way to get fluid in it.

With the motor on the safety latch I took the yellow fill cap off. I had my buddy trim up while I added fluid until it was able to lift itself off the safety latch. Then we went through the process of bleeding the rest of the air and topping off the fluid. Works like a charm now

Correct. Manual relief screw doesn't "relieve all the pressure" as it's primary function- it permits fluid to pass in both directions so that you can raise or lower the engine MANUALLY.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Bassmaster09 View Post
    Mercury optimax 250
    S/N- 2B118051

Recently had water intrusion on my tilt trim system due to a seal failure at the end cap of the trim piston. I removed the end caps on both trim pistons, also removed the end cap on the tilt ram. Removed almost all of the fluid. I know this is not the proper way to remove the trim fluid, but the water intrusion wasnt very bad.

I put everything back together with the new parts. Started adding fluid with the motor trimmed all the way up on the safety latch. When is was full, I went to cycle trim down and go through the process. Well, when I turned the manual relief vavle to relieve pressure only a little pressure left of, enough to drop the motor. Tried to trim it back up and it wouldnt go. Took me and another buddy with everything we had to lift it back up to the safety latch. Went through this process a few times. The manual relief vavle is not relieving all the pressure in the system.

When I had the trin ram out, did I damage something and not know it? I'm very confused by this, any help is much appreciated.

Thank you!

Try doing this yourself at a ramp @ midnight, when the trim motor quits on you. Couldn't get the boat out of the water without a PB deadlift first
    A fisherman is a jerk on one end of the line
    ~~~~ waiting for a jerk on the other ~~~~

2007 Triton TR21XHP
    2006 Mercury 250 Optimax Pro XS