2013 Z520C Shoot-Thru-Hull Transducer - Best Location for Speed?

I need some advice on where to locate a shoot-thru-hull transducer in my 2013 Ranger Z520C.
    Thinking it was bad/weak, I replaced the factory-installed Lowrance PD-WBL 83/200 ducer because I would lose bottom contact at 30mph. I installed a new med/high chirp Lowrance ducer in roughly the same location as the original (roughly 18 inches forward of the drain plug) and it, too loses bottom contact at 30mph. Shouldn't I be able to reach 50 to 60 mph?
    I am hoping that some of you out there with a Z520C are having success at achieving bottom contact at much higher speeds than me - with your Lowrance system. If so, can you please share with me where your transducer is located. Is it back next to the drain plug for instance? Perhaps the thickness/layers of the fiberglass in the hull sump area varies?? I would prefer to learn of a known location that works well in this model boat. I would rather not experiment with sandbags, temporary installs, etc (in an attempt to locate the best spot), when the best spot for this boat hull must already be known. Any strong recommendations out there? Thanks in advance!!

A follow-up question: Is it possible to move an epoxied-in hull transducer, or will I destroy it trying??

Dave

2. Member
    Are you sure your system is sourcing that transducer? My dad had this problem on his boat and it was using his 3 in 1 transducer so of course it lost signal when he got on plane.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

3. Member
    If I were you, i would private message Wayne in the humminbird forum. He is the expert, helped me with my Ranger boat electronics issue.

My shoot thru is terrible. Useless for seeing fish. Loses the bottom at about the same speed as the OP…I use an airmar TM150 on the Jackplate for any serious 2d sonar. Run it on the second channel of the Lowrance Live. Obviously doesn’t work on plane.

5. Member
    Thanks for the feedback. To answer a few of you, ... I am sure I have it sourced properly. I have a 2 in 1 ducer at the transom which is down and sidescan only (no 2D). I do have a great signal with this new 2D chirp transducer. It sees fish and everything else much better than the previous one. It just doesn't stay in contact with the bottom at speed over 30mph. I'll try to reach out to Wayne as well. Thanks all !! More tips will be appreciated.

I have good results most of the time with my shoot thru ducer, really only have intermittent issues in extremely rough conditions. However, I am running a Humminbird setup and mine is located within a couple inches of the drain plug. My keeper tab on my drain plug touches the ducer when I have the plug in all the way. My boat was factory rigged with Lowrance and I remember having the same issue with losing the bottom at speed. Also, not really sure if my hull design is the same as yours back in that transom area. If the ducer was epoxied in properly, you will probably destroy is during removal.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

7. Member
    Thank you Jacquart. That's great info!! I would think the same issue would apply to any mfg of transducer, Humminbird or otherwise. I'm thinking I need to place it where you did. I do need to keep in mind to allow room for the drain plug mechanism - thanks for that tip. I'm thinking I will probably just need to buy a new ducer and leave the existing one alone for backup.
    Again, any more tips or feedback from Ranger 520/21 owners would be appreciated. I think I know what I need to do but a few more responses would be great!

8. Member
    On both my 521's I run Garmin 126's my GT8's are mounted like 2 inches from drain plug. On the 521C it will read in calm water all the way to WOT 69 mph but will lose bottom over 50 mph with a little chop. The 04 521 it will read at 75 mph but will lose bottom over 60 mph if it get's little rough.
    04 521VX 250 Pro XS
    14 521C 250 Pro XS

Quote Originally Posted by SmallieChaserWA View Post
    Thank you Jacquart. That's great info!! I would think the same issue would apply to any mfg of transducer, Humminbird or otherwise. I'm thinking I need to place it where you did. I do need to keep in mind to allow room for the drain plug mechanism - thanks for that tip. I'm thinking I will probably just need to buy a new ducer and leave the existing one alone for backup.
    Again, any more tips or feedback from Ranger 520/21 owners would be appreciated. I think I know what I need to do but a few more responses would be great!
    When I epoxied mine, I really hit the glass hard with the 3M discs that go into a drill. Made sure I got into a good clean/smooth layer of glass.
    Attached Images Attached Images

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

10. Member
    Thanks Bass.man! That's another vote for mounting close to the drain plug. Makes sense. I only wish the original installer (Ranger or dealer) would have known that. I would be quite happy with the results your getting.
    Jacquart, good tip regarding the 3M discs!
    Is it best to access this task from the splashwell access point or did you install from the battery compartment?

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by xcoach View Post
    If I were you, i would private message Wayne in the humminbird forum. He is the expert, helped me with my Ranger boat electronics issue.
    Xcoach, are you referring to Wayne P. by chance? I want to make sure I get the right Wayne. Thanks.

12. Member
    Xcoach, are you referring to Wayne P. by chance? I want to make sure I get the right Wayne. Thanks.
    Yeah, he's the Expert.
    2008 Ranger Z520 DC 2016 Suzuki 250SS
    1997 Javelin 400TDC 1997 Johnson 200 Venom

Thanks Bass.man! That's another vote for mounting close to the drain plug. Makes sense. I only wish the original installer (Ranger or dealer) would have known that. I would be quite happy with the results your getting.
    Jacquart, good tip regarding the 3M discs!
    Is it best to access this task from the splashwell access point or did you install from the battery compartment?
    Through the battery compartment, you have to pull out the angled mounting plate where Ranger usually installs the charger and the lower center plate which holds up the 3rd battery in a 36v install. That will give you a straight shot down to the drain plug. Cannot get there through the splashwell.

2012 Ranger z521
    Mercury 250 Pro XS

14. Member
    Thank you all for your feedback. I really appreciate it. I'm not going to try removing the old chirp ducer. I've ordered a new one instead. I'll install it once the weather warms up a bit. I'll post the results after that.