Thread: Jerkbait Rod

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Jerkbait Rod

Looking at getting a jerkbait rod, either the new Megabass P5 110 or Expride B M 6’10. Besides the $200 price difference is one better over the other? If so, why?

2. Member
    Just my opinion but I don't really care for the length of the handle on the expride. This was the A model so not sure if the B model is different, but the handle was too long.

Honestly we all have our price points this will be a personal decision, but ask yourself what is your price point for moving baits vs bottom contact. Many live in the highend on all rods.. others, will run premium on bottom contact, and live in that 200.00 range on moving bait rods.

4. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    If you're willing to shell out out the $$$ and you're throwing mostly Megabass jerkbaits it makes sense to buy a Megabass rod specifically designed to fish a Megabass jerkbait.
    2013 Ranger Z520c, 2013 Yamaha 250 SHO
    2018 Ranger RT198p, 2013 Mercury 150 Optimax

Quote Originally Posted by BoatBuggy View Post
    If you're willing to shell out out the $$$ and you're throwing mostly Megabass jerkbaits it makes sense to buy a Megabass rod specifically designed to fish a Megabass jerkbait.
    Ah yes make sure the carpet matches the drapes philosophy.

But maybe he is using a world minnow....or a flash boost......

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by basscat21 View Post
    Ah yes make sure the carpet matches the drapes philosophy.

But maybe he is using a world minnow....or a flash boost......
    Or God forbid, a Rapala!!

I went down this rabbit hole previously, getting caught up in the hype only to remember I don't throw a jerkbait often enough for it to matter. If you want to spend a little extra for a nice rod, make sure it does a couple of things well, I went Alpha Angler Slasher but it also throws poppers and topwater well so it's a dual purpose.

Edit to add: ALX Jerkbait or Twitch work well for both applications as well

8. Member
    Yes, I’d also lean on this rod for squarebills.

I probably throw more x-Raps followed by 110s and Stunnas.

Jackall rerange = Poison Adrena..

Quote Originally Posted by butchy View Post
    Looking at getting a jerkbait rod, either the new Megabass P5 110 or Expride B M 6’10. Besides the $200 price difference is one better over the other? If so, why?
    There are only a very few people in the world who have fished the new US P5 110 Destroyer to date, so you won't have many on the water side by side comparisons at this point. I have fished the Megabass, a few times now, and again today in fact. It is a fantastic rod, very versatile, very capable, and a lot of fun. Yes, it handles the Vision 110 as one would expect for a rod designed by Megabass for that bait. I have not fished the Expride B however, so I can't speak to that model.

11. Member
    Why do you need a mega bass rod to throw a mega bass jerk baits?. No disrespect, but that’s just plain stupid. You get a rod to throw a specific lure in the weight range the brand does not matter!

12. Member
    Personally, I don't think there's a rod that gets overthought more than a stickbait rod although the chatterbait rod may be closing in.
    The stickbait was invented here and I fish with guys who are pretty good at it. I can say with certainty that it's the Indian and not the arrow.
    Buy a Falon weightless worm or the jerkbait rod . The virtus version as really good also. The rest is up to the guy holding it.

13. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by butchy View Post
    Yes, I’d also lean on this rod for squarebills.

I probably throw more x-Raps followed by 110s and Stunnas.
    If squarebills are added into the mix, then I wouldn't be looking at any of the Megabass jerkbait rods. If you are looking to buy something in the Megabass family of rods I'd be leaning more towards the XX Flatside Special which is at a much lower price point and will do just fine with jerkbaits as well as easily handle spooks, poppers, medium depth crankbaits and spybaits.

14. Member
    I would lean towards a Dobyns Champion XP 705CB. It would be a good dual purpose rod.

Quote Originally Posted by dropshot1$ View Post
    Why do you need a mega bass rod to throw a mega bass jerk baits?. No disrespect, but that’s just plain stupid. You get a rod to throw a specific lure in the weight range the brand does not matter!
    I think the video above is pretty good, and for the most part Tactical Bassin, does a fair job of presenting a subject mater. Yes hooked to Tackle warehouse. But they do a fair job of crossing product lines, and find the gems in product lines. BCC-ers love to whip it out and measure, and tend to present the most expensive options as a matter of cred. Practically is rare. TB has many videos presenting the expride as a prefered JB rod. I am sure if they felt, a (insert brand)was better they would. So it becomes a good basis for a selection.

16. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    BCC-ers love to whip it out and measure, and tend to present the most expensive options as a matter of cred. Practically is rare.
    The OP asked specifically about the P5 110 rod. No one whipped out anything.

But BBC-ers do love to answer questions that were never asked.

The OP asked specifically about the P5 110 rod. No one whipped out anything.
    He also asked about the expride.......which happens to have a very solid reputation for JBs, with some pretty solid evidence in videos. Interesting they speak highly of the MB110 Jb, but turn to the expride as their prefered rod. Might want to weigh that rather heavy in the the discussion.

18. Winter can end now..... BoatBuggy's Avatar
    He also asked about the expride.......which happens to have a very solid reputation for JBs, with some pretty solid evidence in videos. Interesting they speak highly of the MB110 Jb, but turn to the expride as their prefered rod. Might want to weigh that rather heavy in the the discussion.
    Yes he did and still no one whipped out anything.

And it turns out the OP wants a squarebill and jerkbait rod which in my book is a different conversation.
    Last edited by BoatBuggy; 01-29-2023 at 09:12 AM.

Yes he did and still no one whipped out anything.
    It was a general comment, and not meant to be a pointed comment, there is plenty of Whipping it out here on BBC with equipment, but then again you see that with many of lifes activities......practicality is like common sense......sometimes missed.....

20. Member
    Which expeide rod? I am not familiar with their line. Thanks

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast