Ultrex help needed

Hi guys,
    I’ve been having a great deal of issues with my 112 Ultrex (2018 model I believe). The boat sat for 4-5 months then went to take it out and pedal went stiff first time I tried to use it. I hit spot lock, it spun one direction then went stiff. I can’t get it to turn. I swapped the pedal sensor with one from another ultrex that worked, that wasn’t it. The head will not turn with the remote or the pedal. The motor/propeller engages fine. I replaced the board thinking that must be it. Nope. I checked continuity in the brown, black, and white wires at the pedal to the head unit and little connectors under head unit. All good. I have 38.6 volts at the connectors to the main board. I can physically turn the head by hand. I loosened the tension on the cables to see if it improves anything, nope. Any advice or other places to look would be greatly appreciated. I feel like I’ve left no stone unturned but obviously I have.

2. Member
    I also put 12 volts to the connectors under the head to see if the power assist motor works, which it does. No issue there.

3. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by fofo31 View Post
    I also put 12 volts to the connectors under the head to see if the power assist motor works, which it does. No issue there.
    Well bad news. You probably have a bad steer module in that it is drawing to many amps. which means you blew the original board and now the second board. You will need to check the amp draw of the steer motor and if it is more than 3 amps it is bad. The 2 boards you used have 3 amp fuses built in the board and they blow when the amp draw on the steer motor is too high.

Just doid that same job and parts were $700 +. Make sure you get the right board for the motor you have. 24 volt and 36 volt are different.

Quote Originally Posted by Bradrodfish View Post
    Well bad news. You probably have a bad steer module in that it is drawing to many amps. which means you blew the original board and now the second board. You will need to check the amp draw of the steer motor and if it is more than 3 amps it is bad. The 2 boards you used have 3 amp fuses built in the board and they blow when the amp draw on the steer motor is too high.

Just doid that same job and parts were $700 +. Make sure you get the right board for the motor you have. 24 volt and 36 volt are different.
    This was a correct response.
    G3 HP180
    Yamaha 115 4 Stroke

5. Member
    My first Ultrex had these same symptoms and it was where the steering wires connected in that little “hatch” on top of the motor.

6. Member
    Thanks for the response guys. I’m trying to find the power steering motor in lieu of replacing the complete assembly. I do not understand why Minn Kota has not made this a serviceable part like they did for their other power steering equipped trolling motors. Parts have gone up in price in just one week by 50 dollars for just a board. Ive always been a minn kota guy but I think this will be my last minn kota. Ive had enough of it. A $0.15 fuse covered in epoxy blowing should somehow warrant a $300 replacement board??? Just like a $20 dc motor is supposed to warrant a $300 assembly? It’s absurd. And minn kota customer service suuuuuuuuucks!!!!!!

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Murph McB View Post
    My first Ultrex had these same symptoms and it was where the steering wires connected in that little “hatch” on top of the motor.
    Mine did this and this was the problem. Bad connection at that small plug.