Reliability of 250 ProXS 4 Stroke

I ran a 2015 Merc 225 ProXS Optimax for 7 years without any problems after the third year. Never used the 4 year extended warranty. Is the 250ProXS 4 stroke predicted to be as reliable as the Optimax? Do i really need an extended warranty if 35 hours per year is all I'm running?
    Last edited by jayp; 01-28-2023 at 11:07 AM.

As with anything mechanical at best it's a 50-50 chance.
    For what it's worth I have 400 hrs on my 2019 with no issues.

3. Member
    Can't speak to the 4-stroke but I never purchased product protection for my Optimax, service it myself and still running great after 14yrs. If you aren't comfortable paying for a major repair out of pocket then purchasing a product protection plan might be a good decision.
    _______

Phil
    '09 Hewescraft ProV
    '09 150 Optimax

4. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    I might also add that "major repair" isn't necessarily a large repair.

For what it's worth- I have purchased the max-term available of Platinum Product Protection for each of my own engines over the years. Your experience may differ, but in my case, it's been a winning investment over the course of the new engine's I've bought (myself).

As far as durability: Absolutely expect the 4-strokes to be longer-lasting and more durable (overall). But NOT cheap to repair.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

5. Member
    304 hrs on my 4 stroke no problems. I also purchased the extended warranty just incase.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jayp View Post
    I ran a 2015 Merc 225 ProXS Optimax for 7 years without any problems after the third year. Never used the 4 year extended warranty. Is the 250ProXS 4 stroke predicted to be as reliable as the Optimax? Do i really need an extended warranty if 35 hours per year is all I'm running?
    I always figure if they didn't expect to make money on it, why would they sell it to you? No extended warranties for me generally.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    I always figure if they didn't expect to make money on it, why would they sell it to you? No extended warranties for me generally.
    Why I've never bought one on anything. At my age it's saved me enough money I could pay cash for some major repairs.