Special head bolts?

1997 Mariner 150 0G508602.
    I am rebuilding this engine. I went to European Marine web site to order bolts and some other needed parts. I see that one bolt is 4 dollars an another was 112 dollars so I assume that is a full set. With some checking I find no you have to order 24 of the 4 dollar number and that 1 bolt is 112 dollars. Anybody know what is so special about the one bolt? My engine does not use it. Only 200 hp engines use it.

2. Member
    remember only the 200 has detonation sensor and module for timming advance at wot , that bolt is where that sensor goes top right bolt on port side , did you send me email about this ???????
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

3. Member
    Joe I think I sent you an email about several things not sure it was about this. Seems like that would be a good system on any 2 stroke. So the detonation sensor screwed into to top of this bolt? Thanks for this answer.

4. Member
    yes sir
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Same answer we provided him by email.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

6. Member
    You sure did Don. Thanks. But I learned on my own that my engine does not use that bolt. Parts are ordered from European Marine.

7. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    You've got a PM, Kevin.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor