Thread: Bourbon tasting

Bourbon tasting

I was at an informal bourbon tasting last night that was pretty interesting. I don't have a very refined palate but one of the guys works at a liquor store and he's really into identifying the proof, mash bill, and all of that. There was a bunch of $50-$100 bottles on the table, a few $200-$300, and the most expensive was a Boss Hog at I guess around $500. The Boss Hog wasn't my favorite by any stretch so you can't guarantee a great pour just by spending a lot.

I can get Buffalo Trace for $27 anytime around here. It's not a daily drinker for me but I use it for cocktails and I keep a bottle in reserve at camp in case I run out of the good stuff. One of the guys brought a Buffalo Trace store pick that was completely different. It punched way above it's weight and easily beat most $50 bottles. If I could find a batch like that, I'd buy it by the case.

To show how much variation there can be between bottles, the guy from the liquor store brought 4 different bottles of 4 Roses single barrel. As I understand it, most of the major brands take the exceptional barrels and set them aside to be sold at a premium or under a different label. Most of the average barrels get blended together to give you the flavor you expect from Woodford, Elijah Craig, or whatever. As the name implies, single barrels aren't blended. These 4 Roses were store picks so they had more info on the label than you'd see on a typical bottle on the shelf (I didn't even know their are different strains of yeast). One of the 4 Roses I really liked, one was pretty good, and two I didn't like at all. So the moral of the story is when someone recommends a particular bourbon, esp. if it's a single barrel, what they have in their glass might be completely different from what you bring home from the store.

2. Member
    That seems like a nice evening out

3. Member
    Welcome to the club. You have taken your first step...

4. Member
    Nice don’t forget the Advil.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RNKingCx19 View Post
    Nice don’t forget the Advil.
    Funny thing, I never get a hangover with bourbon.
    To the OP, thanks for the info. Who knew! Great insight to keep in mind.

6. Member
    Good on you! I've been doing Friday bourbon nights with a couple of friends since Covid hit. I got these guys started, but they have blown right past me in collecting and also reselling. I get to benefit by sampling bourbons that aren't available in NH. Life is good

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bassboat1 View Post
    Good on you! I've been doing Friday bourbon nights with a couple of friends since Covid hit. I got these guys started, but they have blown right past me in collecting and also reselling. I get to benefit by sampling bourbons that aren't available in NH. Life is good
    I've been drinking bourbon neat for about 10 years now and I treat bourbon pretty much the same way I do my music. If I like it, that's all that matters. I get no more enjoyment from the end product by knowing how difficult it was to produce or find on the shelf. My buddy who hosted the event was a casual bourbon drinker before COVID. During lockdown he took an online course and got certified on how to evaluate bourbon which I'm not convinced is all that possible if you don't have a good palate to start with. Then he built his collection up to 400 bottles that included a lot of lower shelf bottles. Then he decided to go quality over quantity so he got rid of his cheap stuff. But he's got the buying/trading bug. He's back up to 400 bottles of middle-to-top shelf now

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BP in ME View Post
    I was at an informal bourbon tasting last night that was pretty interesting. I don't have a very refined palate but one of the guys works at a liquor store and he's really into identifying the proof, mash bill, and all of that. There was a bunch of $50-$100 bottles on the table, a few $200-$300, and the most expensive was a Boss Hog at I guess around $500. The Boss Hog wasn't my favorite by any stretch so you can't guarantee a great pour just by spending a lot.

I can get Buffalo Trace for $27 anytime around here. It's not a daily drinker for me but I use it for cocktails and I keep a bottle in reserve at camp in case I run out of the good stuff. One of the guys brought a Buffalo Trace store pick that was completely different. It punched way above it's weight and easily beat most $50 bottles. If I could find a batch like that, I'd buy it by the case.

To show how much variation there can be between bottles, the guy from the liquor store brought 4 different bottles of 4 Roses single barrel. As I understand it, most of the major brands take the exceptional barrels and set them aside to be sold at a premium or under a different label. Most of the average barrels get blended together to give you the flavor you expect from Woodford, Elijah Craig, or whatever. As the name implies, single barrels aren't blended. These 4 Roses were store picks so they had more info on the label than you'd see on a typical bottle on the shelf (I didn't even know there are different strains of yeast). One of the 4 Roses I really liked, one was pretty good, and two I didn't like at all. So the moral of the story is when someone recommends a particular bourbon, esp. if it's a single barrel, what they have in their glass might be completely different from what you bring home from the store.
    Four Roses single barrel is one of my under $50 favorites.

Good info on how much difference there can be.

I had a chance to try Pappy Van Winkle (think it was 15 year) and Whistlepig a few weeks ago, two I had wanted to try. Both were excellent, I think the Whistlepig was my favorite but both were in Old Fashions and the bartender made the one with the Whistlepig totally different, not sure why.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    I had a chance to try Pappy Van Winkle (think it was 15 year) and Whistlepig a few weeks ago, two I had wanted to try. Both were excellent, I think the Whistlepig was my favorite but both were in Old Fashions and the bartender made the one with the Whistlepig totally different, not sure why.
    They used Pappy and Whistlepig in a cocktail? That'll make heads explode.

Whistlepig is fine but it's not worth 3 figures IMO. And Boss Hog Whistlepig sure as heck isn't worth $500

11. Member
    Here's my take on the recent Bourbon craze. Drinking real expensive Bourbon does not make one an Expert. Drinking a lot of Bourbon does. Just like the Wine craze 15-20 years ago, everyone became a wine connoisseur/expert because it was popular.

12. Member

Whistlepig is fine but it's not worth 3 figures IMO. And Boss Hog Whistlepig sure as heck isn't worth $500
    I thought the same thing!

Best Old Fashion I’ve ever had was the Whistlepig. Maybe it’s not popular in a cocktail but it was good. This was a very high end bar and I was offered several bourbons and chose the Whistlepig and I wasn’t paying. Guy buying knew the bartender very well and she’s told to fill the glass to the top, no measuring. I’d never had Old Fashins like he bought me. All I know was I ordered an Old Fashion and was offered some high end bourbons and took advantage.

14. Member
    Just picked up a bottle of 4 Roses single barrel on the way home
    '99 Cobra 201D
    Merc 250 Pro Xs 4 stroke

I tried and like Mitchners, it’s about $50 a bottle I think. For the price I’ve been pretty happy with it. 4 Roses, Woodford, are regulars I like also. I was given a bottle of Blanton’s a month or so ago, it’s great also.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by C130 View Post
    Best Old Fashion I’ve ever had was the Whistlepig. Maybe it’s not popular in a cocktail but it was good. This was a very high end bar and I was offered several bourbons and chose the Whistlepig and I wasn’t paying. Guy buying knew the bartender very well and she’s told to fill the glass to the top, no measuring. I’d never had Old Fashins like he bought me. All I know was I ordered an Old Fashion and was offered some high end bourbons and took advantage.
    Great bourbon makes great cocktails too!