Mercury High 5 on 521C

Hey guys I知 in the market for a big water prop. I live in upstate NY and more often than not you池e not blessed with a flat lake to run full out. I ran a 24p 4 blade for about half the season last year and still had some issues with bow lift. I知 running a 2017 250 pro xs 2 stroke. Wondering what high 5 I should be looking at with regards to pitch and diameter. Appreciate the time in advance. Only looking for info on the high 5 at this point. This will strictly be used in big wave situations. Thanks I知 advance for any info.

2. Member
    You might want to watch the latest episode of Bass Talk Live on YouTube. It's the Day 4 #100 with Frank Scalish show. At the 14 minute mark they talk about rough water props for bass boats. I think that they address pitch and diameter. Also, the show a Hydromotive Engineering Rough Water Series (RWS) 5 blade prop specifically designed for bass boats and rough water performance. Even if you go with a High 5 prop the discussion in the show may help you determine the proper size.

3. Member
    If you go on the Mercury web site, there is a calculation based on parameters for your rig

https://www.mercurymarine.com/en/us/...or/#!/step-one

That is what I did for my Basscat with 275 Verado. I went with the 23 pitch. Lost a little on top end but had much better hole shot. felt like better control especially in rough water

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ctaylor2015 View Post
    You might want to watch the latest episode of Bass Talk Live on YouTube. It's the Day 4 #100 with Frank Scalish show. At the 14 minute mark they talk about rough water props for bass boats. I think that they address pitch and diameter. Also, the show a Hydromotive Engineering Rough Water Series (RWS) 5 blade prop specifically designed for bass boats and rough water performance. Even if you go with a High 5 prop the discussion in the show may help you determine the proper size.
    yes I actually watched that episode. Just going to be an issue of availability to go that route. Looking to hear from anyone that has experience with this prop on this rig. I’m sure I’m not the only one having the lift issue in big waves.

What 4 blade did you use? The high 5 doesn’t have enough diameter. Croxtons prop or Bravo would be better
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chindog47 View Post
    Hey guys I’m in the market for a big water prop. I live in upstate NY and more often than not you’re not blessed with a flat lake to run full out. I ran a 24p 4 blade for about half the season last year and still had some issues with bow lift. I’m running a 2017 250 pro xs 2 stroke. Wondering what high 5 I should be looking at with regards to pitch and diameter. Appreciate the time in advance. Only looking for info on the high 5 at this point. This will strictly be used in big wave situations. Thanks I’m advance for any info.
    I sent you a private message.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 1BADAIR View Post
    What 4 blade did you use? The high 5 doesn’t have enough diameter. Croxtons prop or Bravo would be better
    I used a fury 24p 4 blade

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Zpilot View Post
    I sent you a private message.
    I’m not seeing it yet. Maybe try to send again?

9. Member
    I just sent another one, look at notifications at the top right center of the page.

10. Member

High five

Quote Originally Posted by Chindog47 View Post
    Hey guys I知 in the market for a big water prop. I live in upstate NY and more often than not you池e not blessed with a flat lake to run full out. I ran a 24p 4 blade for about half the season last year and still had some issues with bow lift. I知 running a 2017 250 pro xs 2 stroke. Wondering what high 5 I should be looking at with regards to pitch and diameter. Appreciate the time in advance. Only looking for info on the high 5 at this point. This will strictly be used in big wave situations. Thanks I知 advance for any info.
    I found the fury 4 in a lower pitch 23 to be better. I have tried high five but bow lift struggled.

11. Member
    The Fury 4 or the Bravo 1xs will give better bow lift than the High 5.

I have a 520 C and run a high five on Erie. It’s the absolute best prop you can run in big waves. I would look on the props for sale page someone had a 25 pitch witch they do not make anymore. That’s what I have.

13. Member
    Not sure what the OP is doing wrong. I use the Fury 4 and Bravo XS props on my 521C and if you have the right prop height and trimmed down it will jump out of the water.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Stevens View Post
    Not sure what the OP is doing wrong. I use the Fury 4 and Bravo XS props on my 521C and if you have the right prop height and trimmed down it will jump out of the water.
    Yes the hole shot was very good with the 4 blade in regular conditions. When you find yourself in 6’ plus waves it is a different story. I found I couldn’t hold plane doing any less than 18 mph and when I would need to throttle up coming up the face of bigger waves the nose does not lift “in my opinion” as much as it could be. I would repeatedly blow out that 24p 4 blade fury trying to accelerate quickly to respond to a wave. I feel like there is bite to be desired there.

Razor Xl or Bravo would be better than a fury or high 5
    2011 Ranger z521/2023 250ProXS

16. Member
    I ran a "High-Five on my Z20 on Erie all the time. It was like having four-wheel drive. Excellent control at low RPM's when climbing waves particularly in "following seas" or running with the waves. I ran a 25 which was the same pitch as my Tempest and Trophy.
    2006 Ranger Z20 / 225HP Merc Pro XS