Carbon 12 and Gen 1 HDS 7 for Racing

Hey All,
    New here and looking for some help. I currently am using a Gen 1 HDS 7 in my offroad Racecar. Now I know this isn't the forum for this, but you all seem to know the most about these lowrances. Now I'm looking to add a Carbon 12 to my system and have both. I've done research and most of it revolves around it putting the carbon in legacy mode, which sounds like it effects the ability to run two sonar types at the same time. Now in racing, we strictly use the lowrances for maps, tracks, waypoints, and obviously the gps location related to them. Ideally, I would like the carbon to have the tracks, and all the waypoints, and for them to automatically go over to the Gen 1. My understanding is this would require an ethernet connection as the NMEA isnt able to transfer maps or tracks. This would put the carbon in legacy mode. Is there anything about legacy mode that would effect me if I am not using any sort of sonar?
    Thanks for any and all help.

2. Member
    About 95% sure this will work for you as intended.

3. Member
    Thanks Colibri. I have seen that in legacy mode, the carbon will be slower. Is that only in regards to sonar? Or is that regular maping processes as well? Like the whole unit slows down?
    So legacy mode only effects sonar?

4. Member
    Hopefully you have a baja point 1 don't foreget to set the data source for GPS and heading so they use the same source. 100% sure it will work.

5. Member
    Thanks for the tip Basshopper. Ill make sure i check those settings. I will be installing a Point 1 with the Carbon.

6. Member
    Only issue is trails won’t don’t share over Ethernet and a Gen 1 HDS can’t share maps. Gen 2 and forward can share mapping. Waypoints will sync between the two with no issues. Legacy Mode won’t affect you though.

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

7. Member
    also if you don't use the setting look ahead. It move you to the bottom of the screen so more data is ahead of you. Just in case you don't use it already.

8. Member
    Thanks NoCal. So if I cant share the maps or tracks between the two, is there a point in the ethernet connection? Since I have to put an SD card with the maps into both GPS's, its only the waypoints I need. And since I am putting in a Point 1, I have the NMEA system there already, and that can transfer the waypoints too right? Being a racecar, just trying to minimize the systems/cables to go wrong on me.

Also, is there a way to have the GEN 1 identically mirror the Carbon? For example, if the codriver zooms the Carbon in, can it also zoom the Gen 1? Almost like its a screen mirror rather than a separate GPS?

9. Member
    NMEA can “share” waypoints. Meaning when both units are on and you make a waypoint on one it shows up on the other. Waypoints “sync” over Ethernet meaning all waypoints on each unit sync up everytime you turn them on. You can also edit waypoints on one unit and the edits transfer to the other over Ethernet. In your case with both units on all the time, I think you can get by with just NMEA. You cannot mirror units. You could do it with an iPad or phone but not another unit.

NoCAL
    2B112175

10. Member
    Ah, totally makes sense. I guess I will have them connected on ethernet and NMEA. So only other question is if the carbon unit slows down due to the legacy mode or if that only pertains to sonar

11. Member
    You won’t notice anything in mapping pages. There will be an annoying message the first few times you turn them on about Legacy Mode but you are given the option to disregard it after 3-4 on/off cycles.
    2B112175