Good deck rain boots?

So I’ve been using (muck brand boots for spring & fall seasons) and (dry shod arctic for winter) and have been happy but I have worn out my chore mucks (they last a long time) So now I’m looking for a 2 seasons boot (spring & fall) all of my rain gear/ clothing is simms brand. Simms has been excellent so I was thinking about their challenger boot?
    But some of the reviews say they fit too tight? Does anyone have any input? How about Huk,grundin,ect.

I also thought about just getting mucks again but they are a little heavier I’m thinking than some of the other styles of deck boots….. a tip for someone that likes the muck,dry shod boots is I cut 6” off the top of them with a utility knife and that made them work better for me on the boat. I’m only need rain protection not deep water so I was happier with them shorter.

2. Member
    I'm not an expert, the only ones I've owned are Pelagic Pursuit. That being said, I really like them the couple years I've owned them. They've held up well and keep my feet warm and dry in a pretty harsh northern climate. They are for sure worth a look.

3. Member
    I've got a pair of XTRATUF deck boots. Picked them up at Sierra which is like TJMax for outdoor stuff for like $50. I like the flat soles (almost like Vans) for running the TM. They've been good, pretty much the same style as Huks and Grundens.

4. Member
    I've had several fishing boots over the years but I've never found anything as comfortable as the New Balance 990 athletic shoes I wear every day. I have gone with pull-on galoshes. For old-timers think of the old brand "Totes". They are available in a number of brands and styles to just cover your shoes or a 10" boot. $20-$40 all day comfort in the shoulder seasons not too warm in the summer they take up very little room stored in the boat and dry feet. Not stylish

5. Member
    I have the Frogg Togg brand rubber boots and like them for fishing in the rain. They’re wide and fit my feet well.

Bought my wife some of the Grummans and she really likes them
    They have a memory foam insole and she says they are really comfortable.

7. Member
    Huk seem to fit to size and are comfortable.

Muck makes some versions of the Chore boot that are shorter, as in a mid-calf and an ankle boot. Duluth has the "Wild Boar" moccasins that are touted as being water proof and they have a non-slip tread which is nice around water. Duluth is running a 25% sale right now too.

9. Member
    Simms makes good product. I have the challenger boot and really like them. I think maybe they've been redesigned since I purchased mine, but I'd guess mine are going on strong for 5 or 6 years now. Don't get worn a ton though.

10. Member
    I use Xtratuf which has pull on loops front and back.

If I fell overboard the double loops would help remove the boots compared with single loop.

My Gill rain suit covers the top ( above ankle ) of the boots so feet stay dry.
    2020 Triton 18 TRX
    Tournament Fishing Package
    2020 Mercury 200 Pro XS V8 Serial # 2B588923
    Minn Kota Ultrex 80# I Pilot Link
    Hi Jacker EZ 6" Jack Plate
    Bravo 1 FS 24 Pitch Prop
    Humminbird Helix 7 SI GPS CHIRP G2 Bow
    Humminbird Helix 7 CHIRP MEGA GPS DI G3 Console
    Trick Step Boarding Steps
    RMP Engine Support

11. Member
    The Huk brands have the best soles for walking on wet boat decks/docks. They make an all rubber ankel high version that works great in wet weather; though ugly. Can always find last years models around 1/2 price.

12. Member
    A good pair of Merrill goretex hiking boots would probably be the most comfortable.

Never been a fan of Huk clothing or shoes. Not worth the money IMO. Started out great but seems like they became too big and their quality took a nose dive. Only reason why they’re popular is marketing. If you e noticed, HUK prostaff at the professional level is almost non-existent now and seems like everyone went to AFTCO.
    1995 Ranger 481v
    1995 Johnson Fast Strike 175hp

13. Member
    Xtratuf

I grabbed a set of Xtratuf from Chris Stewart who's always selling on the Facebook pages and who runs an online discount shop. I think I gave $50 for them and I've been super happy.

I'd never pay full price for them as there's not a lot to them and I can't imagine how they ever get north of $100 for a pair, but I also can't really imagine anything better for their intended purpose. Comparing the soles to Vans, or I thought Converse All Stars, is a nice way to think of them.

Past that, they're completely waterproof and easy to get on and off. I definitely like the minimal sole for dexterity in the boat and for running the trolling motor, as others have mentioned. They don't have a ton of support if that's something you're after, though they'd take an insole very easily. They're actually surprisingly warm, I think due to the fact that there's no restriction at the ankle, and my feet don't sweat in them like I thought they would (at least at temps below 50, which is the only conditions where I've worn them).

I'm sure the Huk and other clones are good too.
    2011 Skeeter ZX225
    225 Yamaha HPDI Series 2
    Minn Kota Ultrex 112 52"
    Console: HDS 16 Carbon
    Bow: HDS 12 Carbon, Solix 12 G2, Mega 360

15. Member
    Well I’m ordered the Simms challenger boots and a few pants and shirts. I’ll try and give a review of the boots when I get them on.

16. Member
    So after about 3hr in the Simms challenge deck boots I’m impressed. They’re very comfortable not very heavy (but not as light as the huk boots). I normally wear a 10 1/2 — 11 size shoe. From some of the reviews on the website I ordered a size 12. I think the sizes that Simms use do run a little small. I can have a very heavy sock on and still have good room in them. With a light sock they’re a touch bigger by the toe but not bad. (I’ll keep the 12 size) they have a nice fit around the ankles for me but if you had big ankles they might be a little tight. They will stretch but just something to be aware of. I think you pay a lot for the Simms name but I do like there products. A side note there pants and shirts are very nice, super soft and comfortable but expensive. Definitely not budget clothing but I continue to prefer there products.