Shore Fishing Around Disney?

I'm taking a family trip to Orlando middle of April and will be staying in Lake Buena Vista. I don't think I can convince the wife to let me out for a half day guided trip but might be able to sneak out for an hour or two. Are there any solid shore fishing opportunities in the area? I've been looking at the Butler Chain, but not sure there's any shore access. Thanks in advance.

Not sure what resort your staying at but there should be a lot of ponds around you can fish. Google earth will be your friend. There was a thread on here some time ago and the guy stayed at a Disney's resort and fished the lakes around the resort (late evening/early morning). He said security guard ask him if he was staying here and ask if he was catching anything. Just watch out for gators.

3. Member
    I take my boat to Orlando every year so these recommendations might be dated.

There are two ponds and a canal at the intersection of International Drive and Avenida Vista that seem to have a decent population of bass.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lightning 6 View Post
    I take my boat to Orlando every year so these recommendations might be dated.

There are two ponds and a canal at the intersection of International Drive and Avenida Vista that seem to have a decent population of bass.
    Yeah op, your best bet is just hitting some of the canals and drainage lakes that are everywhere. If they are the ones that always hold water year round (look for lily pads or reeds) then they will almost certainly have bass and can have big ones. If you're staying on Disney that's a whole other thing. All the Disney resorts have lakes around them that hold big fish. I usually night fish them when we used to go. Depending on whether you're stopped or not really depends on the security guard. I've been stopped several times and usually just asked if they were biting. If you're staying there they definitely will NOT kick you out for fishing unless you're an ass to them or something.

5. Member
    I'll be at the Disney Swan/Dolphin resort. Has ponds right on the property. Thanks for the tips. Wasn't sure what ponds had them and didn't. I've picked up some good info from google too.

6. Member
    @drscholl14

Swan and Dolphin has some big fish in there. I've caught a couple that were 8+. We went in February once and I saw one on a bed right next to the water taxi dock that was easily a teener. Went back that night and tried to catch her with no luck. At the Dolphin there are two little lagoons between the buildings. Bring some punching gear. If the eel grass is matted up in there punch it and hold on.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Poppin' Frog View Post
    @drscholl14

Swan and Dolphin has some big fish in there. I've caught a couple that were 8+. We went in February once and I saw one on a bed right next to the water taxi dock that was easily a teener. Went back that night and tried to catch her with no luck. At the Dolphin there are two little lagoons between the buildings. Bring some punching gear. If the eel grass is matted up in there punch it and hold on.
    Oh man, now I'm excited. Are you talking about the little inlets in between the "U's" of the hotel? I'm only bringing MH spinning travel rod so not sure I'll be able to tackle eel grass but maybe pitch to the outside of it or bring some light punching rigs.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by drscholl14 View Post
    Oh man, now I'm excited. Are you talking about the little inlets in between the "U's" of the hotel? I'm only bringing MH spinning travel rod so not sure I'll be able to tackle eel grass but maybe pitch to the outside of it or bring some light punching rigs.
    Yes, they're about the size of a large swimming pool and only a few feet deep. They connect to the Big lake. The water is usually crystal clear and you'll see some bass cruising during the day but the big ones move in at night. I would definitely recommend bringing something heavier than MH spinning gear. Those lakes are thick with hydrilla and eel grass, even without punching if you hook a good one shes going to immediately bury in that grass, you'll need something to get her out. If you can't travel with it the BassPro isn't far. You won't regret it

Quote Originally Posted by drscholl14 View Post
    I bet you are. Good Luck and post pictures when your done.