2002 Yamaha tilt trim issues

My tilt trim is lagging while going up or down. Extremely slow when trimming up. The motor nearly stops when just short of trimmed all the way down. When trimming up its slow, making "cracking" noise in both directions. I've bled the reservoir, changed as much fluid as I could get out of it, cycled it several times, bled it, added fluid, still no improvement.

Any ideas?..
    Thanks
    JW

2. Member
    Grease the pivot points with a grease gun. If that does not work need to put a rebuild kit in the rams.
    Bill Perry
    Zwolle, LA (Toledo Bend)
    bpicinc_2000@yahoo.com
    2001 ZX-250 VMAX 225. HDS-9 Carbon, HDS-7Carbon, 3D Sonar, HB 998c hd si, Active Target, MG Tour Pro 36v, 12" Slide Master
    USN, USS Newport News CA-148

Quote Originally Posted by bpicinc View Post
    Grease the pivot points with a grease gun. If that does not work need to put a rebuild kit in the rams.
    I had a similar problem with my 2013 Yamaha F115. I greased everything and the little balls at the end of the stainless tube. This fixed my noise and cracking sound but yours sounds like a rebuild. Mine was noisy but never slowed down except in bad cold weather...then it slowed down because the fluid was so thick.
    ----------------------------
    The bitterness of poor quality is remembered
    long after the sweetness of low price is forgotten - Benjamin Franklin

2013 RANGER RT188 - YAMAHA F115 - ULTREX - LOWRANCE GRAPHS
    LOCK-N-HAUL Transom Saver, ALL ABOARD Emergency Ladder
    1996 RANGER CHEROKEE - 40 YAMAHA

4. Member
    Thanks BP..

5. Member
    Thanks Panama..

6. Member
    Mine started doing this exact same thing intermittently. Then months later one day the trim motor failed. Replaced the trim motor and it's been fine since
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66

7. Member
    OK, kinda what I'm thinking..
    Tks Triton

8. Member
    I went through 2 el cheapo trim motors and very slow operation was the only symptom I could see before they both completely failed.

9. Member
    Interesting read, I have a 1999 OX66-225. I am starting to experience some similar issues. The trim fluid has been checked, the pivot points are greased. The trim switch was replaced and the relay checked out. I have no issues except than every so often the I can leave the motor in a certain position and then when I depress the trim switch nothing happens. I keep depressing and it trims up and down fine. I was wondering if I might have a dead spot in the trim motor? My question is where can I find a replacement trim motor? I have not been able to locate one for a 1999 OX66. All I see are complete tilt/trim units that have been rebuilt.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MYRX View Post
    Interesting read, I have a 1999 OX66-225. I am starting to experience some similar issues. The trim fluid has been checked, the pivot points are greased. The trim switch was replaced and the relay checked out. I have no issues except than every so often the I can leave the motor in a certain position and then when I depress the trim switch nothing happens. I keep depressing and it trims up and down fine. I was wondering if I might have a dead spot in the trim motor? My question is where can I find a replacement trim motor? I have not been able to locate one for a 1999 OX66. All I see are complete tilt/trim units that have been rebuilt.
    I have always used boats.net. Then cross reference the part number using google if I am looking for a cheaper alternative.

11. Member
    Got it. Thanks Thamelau

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MYRX View Post
    You have a bad trim motor, it will eventually fail and you will be SOL. Ask me how I know. Besides leaks, the Trim unit itself is basically problem free. Also be careful with aftermarket trim motors. My first one failed within a month.
    2002 Tr-19 200 ox66