Thread: The Leash

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast

The Leash

Hey guys,
    what your take on this item called the “Leash”? It’s purpose is to prevent your outboard from flipping into the boat if an underwater strike happens.

correct that is the purpose, to try and prevent that from happening.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

3. Member
    I think it boils down to how risk tolerant each individual is. If i get killed by an outboard motor striking me in the back then I think it was just my time to go. I’m sure others will see it differently.

4. Member
    It is like insurance…..purchase it if you feel the cost is worth it….and hope you never need it. OBTW, been running one for years….bought from Drewcraft.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

5. Ranger Boats Moderator 22RangerZ520R's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by yandeltx View Post
    If i get killed by an outboard motor striking me in the back then I think it was just my time to go.
    +1

2022 Ranger Z520R | 2022 Platinum F250
    Apex 19 | (2) Apex 16's | Mega 360 | Mega Live

6. BBC SPONSOR / PHOENIX MOD DREWTICK's Avatar
    https://drewcraft.com/product/the-leash/

we sell lots of them and have many customers they wont run with out one due to some accidents they have encountered , they are required for many of the high school fishing teams

a lot of different opinions, like seat belts

we have them if you are interested
    Drewcraft Specializes in Lithium Batteries and Chargers, We carry all Brands of Trolling Motors and Graphs, Minnkota, Lowrance, Garmin, Motorguide
    910-722-0001 call or text
    info@drewcraft.com

Probably more of them bought after an accident than before.

8. Member
    I have one. I don't like riding in boats that don't have it installed. I figure I want to go home instead of the morgue. It just takes one solid hit to change your mind.
    when you see this on the water stop and say hi.

9. Member
    An accident where the passenger was killed by the motor coming in the boat on the CA Delta convinced my buddy to get a Leash for both of our boats.
    Still have to watch for debris out there.

We’ve had more than our share around here last few years. ICU’s, death, destroyed boats/motors. Seems like a good thing to have. Certainly can’t hurt.
    24’Bass Cat Puma Sts-300 Proxs
    23’Gatortrax Gt tunnel hull-200 Suzuki

Quote Originally Posted by yandeltx View Post
    I think it boils down to how risk tolerant each individual is. If i get killed by an outboard motor striking me in the back then I think it was just my time to go. I’m sure others will see it differently.
    As someone who runs lakes that look like this in the pic , the Leash gives me a piece of mind
    0baafafcbc003d24f080d2ef276fa600--toledo.jpg

In concept, the Leash sounds like a great safety feature. But, I’ve yet to see a video showing how it performs in action. I posted the very same question of one of the BBC sponsors a couple years back and got crickets.
    Is there any actual video footage of the Leash in action? If I’m to consider installing one I’d like to know it works.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

13. Member
    It sure can't hurt to have one.

14. Member
    https://www.propellersafety.com/wordpress/wp-content/uploads/outboard-motor-flipped-into-boat.pdf
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    In concept, the Leash sounds like a great safety feature. But, I’ve yet to see a video showing how it performs in action. I posted the very same question of one of the BBC sponsors a couple years back and got crickets.
    Is there any actual video footage of the Leash in action? If I’m to consider installing one I’d like to know it works.
    Same old stupid comment.

16. mikesxpress
    Agreed. Proof that design does what it says hasn't been shown anywhere. If this was a real issue the engine OEMs would have addressed it already.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    Agreed. Proof that design does what it says hasn't been shown anywhere. If this was a real issue the engine OEMs would have addressed it already.
    This item has been discussed on these boards in the past and it almost always comes back to this.

Tom

This is kinda like safety chains on a trailer. in some instances they will help.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

19. Member
    That's where I'm at too. When you have very little proof in action of it working, and the entire argument for buying it is "can't hurt" or "look at this list of accidents", I'm not convinced it would work as intended.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Same old stupid comment.
    How's that?
    2021 BassCatt Pantera II
    200 Pro XS(3B056653)
    Motorguide Tour Pro

Page 1 of 11 123 ... LastLast