Thread: The Leash

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
  1. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    That's where I'm at too. When you have very little proof in action of it working, and the entire argument for buying it is "can't hurt" or "look at this list of accidents", I'm not convinced it would work as intended.
    Guy in video below had one and said it worked as intended.

Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Guy in video below had one and said it worked as intended.

Guy in the video also said the motor flipped up and the prop was up above the power poles. Looking at "The Leash" attached to his motor, how would that be possible?

I'm on my 2nd boat and wont have an outboard with out one. JMHO.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Guy in the video also said the motor flipped up and the prop was up above the power poles. Looking at "The Leash" attached to his motor, how would that be possible?
    A guess is, a motor out of the water spinning at 6000 rpm would sure sound like that. I guess having it work the one time won't convince the skeptics, until it was your deck the motor was on. Going to be my next investment before boating season.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    Supposedly it is designed to stretch a certain amount to slow it down just like seat belts give some to slow you down in a crash.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Dixie-Raven View Post
    Supposedly it is designed to stretch a certain amount to slow it down just like seat belts give some to slow you down in a crash.
    They promoted it as having no stretch….

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Chisco View Post
    They promoted it as having no stretch….
    I haven't seen that. All I saw was it was 5x stronger than steel. Steel is capable of bending and stretching. Guy in video I posted above speaks about it being designed to give some.
    Last edited by Dixie-Raven; 01-28-2023 at 05:58 PM.

8. Member
    Vectran has very little stretch.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

Gives me peace of mind. Especially when I have my daughter, or twin grandsons in the boat. A fatal accident on the upper Chesapeake made my mind up. You never know if you’ll run up on a submerged log.
    2011 Ranger Z518
    Mercury Pro XS 200
    Lowrance, HDS Live, BBT mounts, Ghost, AT1, Power Poles, Charge

I think the idea is that with the Leash….the lower unit should shear off instead of flipping the mota up and possibly into the boat. This happened here in a tournament a few years ago. Mota flipped up into the boat.
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

Originally Posted by RazorCat
    In concept, the Leash sounds like a great safety feature. But, I’ve yet to see a video showing how it performs in action. I posted the very same question of one of the BBC sponsors a couple years back and got crickets.
    Is there any actual video footage of the Leash in action? If I’m to consider installing one I’d like to know it works.

Quote Originally Posted by skeeterator View Post
    Same old stupid comment.
    Seeking verifiable evidence as to the effectiveness of a device that’s meant to stop the force of an outboard motor upon impact is an old, stupid comment? Some people prefer to stumble through clueless. That’s their prerogative. Personally, I prefer to ask questions, and review the test data on safety products before I employ them. That’s just me.
    But, thank you for your valuable contribution to the discussion.
    Last edited by RazorCat; 02-10-2023 at 07:59 AM.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

12. Georgia Fishing Reports Moderator
    Glad I saw this. Heading back to Santee and think I will put one on before I go. Best place to purchase and any discounts available?

13. Member
    Best pricing is likely at Drewcraft…..bbc discount.
    Lightning 6
    2007 TR-196DC

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RazorCat View Post
    Originally Posted by RazorCat
    In concept, the Leash sounds like a great safety feature. But, I’ve yet to see a video showing how it performs in action. I posted the very same question of one of the BBC sponsors a couple years back and got crickets.
    Is there any actual video footage of the Leash in action? If I’m to consider installing one I’d like to know it works.

Seeking verifiable evidence as to the effective of a device that’s meant to stop the force of an outboard motor upon impact is an old, stupid comment? Some people prefer to stumble through clueless. That’s their prerogative. Personally, I prefer to ask questions, and review the test data on safety products before I employ them. That’s just me.
    But, thank you for your valuable contribution to the discussion.
    The leash and motor toter arguments always get emotional on BBC
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

15. Member
    how much test data and safety results did you skeptics look at before blindly following the cdc and injecting clot shots into your body? Hipocrit much?

16. Member
    Razorcat is asking for proof of concept. I myself have questions about this as well. Would not be too hard to test breaking strength of the leash itself if someone wanted to with the right test equipment. My concern is the shock loads on the brackets & bolts & motor bracket they are bolted to & how much force is there. Can see that being a huge variable depending on what you hit & how fast you are going. Another question I have is does the leash allow you to fully trim motor completely up or does it stop trim travel before it reaches full extension ? Is the Leash the only thing like this out there at this time ?

17. Member
    Midwayusa has the Leash on clearance for $149.99. Just ordered one today.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by yandeltx View Post
    I think it boils down to how risk tolerant each individual is. If i get killed by an outboard motor striking me in the back then I think it was just my time to go. I’m sure others will see it differently.
    After reading that Lounge post about Cody Little's accident, I want to retract my post.
    Last edited by FrancoCialone; 02-28-2023 at 12:51 PM.

19. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ToddinVA View Post
    Midwayusa has the Leash on clearance for $149.99. Just ordered one today.
    I owe you a beer for that tip! Some colors were on clearance and others weren't for my 2 stroke Merc, but silver was a color that was on clearance so I ordered a silver one!

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CatCanDoo View Post
    I owe you a beer for that tip! Some colors were on clearance and others weren't for my 2 stroke Merc, but silver was a color that was on clearance so I ordered a silver one!
    Do the 2 stroke ones fit older EFI or Optimax or ?? or what HP ? some 1997 EFI were 3L or 2.5L

My 1997 EFI is 2.5L
    Last edited by tj; 01-29-2023 at 01:50 PM.
    Champion 184
    Mercury 175 EFI

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast