Thread: Lake Wylie

Lake Wylie

I will be moving to the area in mid-March, is the fishing at Lake Wylie pretty good?

Thank You,
    BrianM

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    You're going to need a NC and a SC license to fish both sides of the lake, NC and SC don't reciprocate.

3. Member
    Thank you, i saw that in the regulations.

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BrianM185VS View Post
    I will be moving to the area in mid-March, is the fishing at Lake Wylie pretty good?
    Wylie has excellent fishing. I grew up in Charlotte and fished Wylie a lot in the late 70's-early 80's, then club fishing in the early 2000's. I don't get there too much these days. Typical largemouth fishery I'd say: working the docks can be amazing the right time of year. But all your other standard Largemouth techniques apply; topwater, suspending presentations, and worms. Water isn't "stained" but not "clear" either. Braid tied straight to the hook is fine.
    Bullet 21XRS
    Mercury Pro XS 250

5. Member
    I heard the Spots are really emerging there. But from what I’ve heard it’s a pretty good lake to fish.
    2013 Pantera 4
    2012 Opti 200 Pro XS
    25 Tempest

6. Member
    Spots have taken over the lake. A very busy recreational Lake. I avoid it for the most part.

7. Banned
    The spots are gonna be what saved Wylie. It went from a very good fishery to the Dead Sea in a short period of time and now is on the rebound thanks to the spots.

8. Member
    Thank you guys for the information

9. Member
    Fishing at Wylie isn't what it was years ago, but that goes for a bunch of lakes. I fish Wylie quite a bit. During the Summer it's full of wake boats and jet skis. My biggest Largemouth from 2022 at Wylie was 7 pounds 13 ounces. I caught 10 LM's over 5 pounds in 2022. 7 were at Wylie. I also caught a 4 pound 15 ounce Spot at Wylie in December. I should have used my old mechanical scale....it would have been 5 pounds. LOL.

Added: I live in NC but fish Wylie in both states. My boat has NC numbers. For the first few months after I got my boat I'd get my license checked by a SC Game Warden every time I crossed the state line. I guess they know my boat now. They just wave when I see them. I only got checked once in NC, but like I said, my boat has NC numbers. I bet the NC Wardens would be all over a SC boat in NC.

10. Member
    We will be in the Clover area off of Hands Mill/274, i appreciate all the info and if you ever need a partner i have a boat and dont mind being a passenger.