Graph Install Advice

Just upgraded my bow unit from a 9 to a 12 through a trade in program. Planning to flush mount the 12 inch graph where the 9 was mounted using the same bow plate on a 2020 Ranger Z520L. Would appreciate any advice on how to cut the plate to the bigger size when it is already cut for the 9. I have the install template for the 12, but don't know if removing the plate entirely and cutting it at the workbench is preferred/easier than doing it on the boat. Any advice on how to best cut the plate in terms of tools and location is appreciated. Never cut one, so I don't know how hard they are to cut or work with. Trying to think it through before I start and screw it up...

Remove the panel and use a Rotary Saw to enlarge the hole. You could also us a Jig Saw, it's just easier and cleaner with the Rotary Saw.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

3. Member
    Thought about that. Got a recommendation on the bit. I think all I have is drywall lying around.

4. Member
    Trimming that thin aluminum is hard to neatly without a nibbler. I would just order the proper plate from Ranger.
    Last edited by howieranger; 01-26-2023 at 08:06 PM.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

5. Member
    Hmm. Didn't know they would sell them pre-cut. Worth a call to check it out. Have you bought one this way?

6. Member
    Yes I have in the past when you could walk in and Sherrie K would take care of you and they were not expensive.
    2018 Z521L 250 PRO XS V8

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    You’re not far from Knox Marine, Darryl, and they are experts at that particular task. Ask for Mike Steele. Having Mike take care of it for you would guarantee it’s done right and probably cost less than a replacement panel.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

8. Member
    Yeah. I was just up there last week getting the boat winterized with Mark. I'm going to give him and Mike a call. I could probably just take the plate up to them, but I like to piddle with stuff on my own sometimes. (They usually fix my screwups!!) I just know how busy they are and don't want to be a PITA! :) Respect those guys so much. Been with them 15 years.

I've cut several myself with a jigsaw, they are easy to cut. If you do it, be careful not to bend the plate, they bend easily if you are not cutting on a flat surface. Otherwise, you do have the lip of the unit that will hide the roughness of the cut and you will never see it again as long as you didn't cut too far outside the line. Measure twice.
    2021 Ranger Z519 Mercury 225 Pro XS Four Stroke

10. Member
    Tape both sides of the panel, layout the opening and jigsaw with a fine tooth blade from the back side. A light deburring is all that is needed. Done several this way.

delete
    Last edited by wmitch2; 02-06-2023 at 02:26 PM.
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jimsch View Post
    Tape both sides of the panel, layout the opening and jigsaw with a fine tooth blade from the back side. A light deburring is all that is needed. Done several this way.
    I was just going to say this. Tape! Easier to mark your layout and you won’t have scratches or scuffs from the base of your jigsaw.
    2022 Ranger Z520R, 2022 Mercury 250 ProXS 4s
    Dual 16” Lowrance Live’s at console, 12” Live with Active Target, Garmin 8612 and Livescope, and Humminbird 12” Mega 360 at the bow
    Lowrance Ghost TM

13. BBC SPONSOR
    Depending on the model of the Ranger, we can help you if you decide not to flush mount the unit.

Ranger L Bow Replacement Plate with Gimbal Holes | Precision Sonar
    Ranger C Bow Replacement Plate with Gimbal Holes | Precision Sonar

14. Member
    Thanks for all the advice. Will probably keep it flush mount for now and then invest in a stackable mount when I get a second graph up there. Baby steps...