Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

PowerHead Gasket Question

Motor was in for annual maintenance and as they were buttoning everything up and function testing, they noticed a leak around the power head. It has a lot of calcium built up so the determined it has been that way for awhile. Anyway, they say they need to replace the head gasket. So they have to order the part and install it next week. They are quoting me at least 3 hours of labor at $150/hour. This on top of the $1200 annual service! Does that gasket replacement sound reasonable? I'm going to be out over two grand just for taking it in for regular service!

NoCAL
    2004TR-21X/2015 250 ProXS
    2B112175

2. Member
    I just looked at a receipt I had when my power head gasket was replaced along with re sealing my trim steering end caps. 4.5 hrs. I think 3 hrs is probably good.

3. Member
    I am in the middle of an annual service myself. I think I have a lower crankshaft seal leaking on mine. If they are going to pull your power head, it might be the time to replace that seal while it's removed? Preventative maintenance.

$1200 for annual service???

Do you have a list of what was done?

If the powerhead is removed, inspect or replace the lower crank seal. I spent 2 days scraping the old powerhead gasket off.

I’d make sure the gasket really needs replaced. Have you been using the same shop all along?
    2006 Triton TR-21 XD, Mercury 225 Pro XS, S/N 1B287870

5. Member
    I've bought one boat and done a repower on my current boat with this same dealer but the mechanics change over time. I'll ask about the lower crankshaft seal.

NoCAL
    2B112175

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Time is fair- especially if it has the earlier style gasket on it. The gasket itself is quite expensive, but well worth the improvements.

Thinking that there must be something you're having done that's in addition to the items listed in '"Recommended Maintenance.... for Optimax Engines" (see FAQ Section)- I know things are a bit higher out there but sheesh... that's up there.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Quote Originally Posted by NoCAL View Post
    I've bought one boat and done a repower on my current boat with this same dealer but the mechanics change over time. I'll ask about the lower crankshaft seal.

NoCAL
    I "Know A Guy" if you're willing to drive to Fresno !!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

8. Member
    Don, the work order says Full Service and came directly off their pricing board. I know it includes gearcase lube, impeller, propshaft lube, spark plugs, and full computer diagnostics. Not sure what else would be included. It does seem high but maybe that’s the reality out here.

NoCAL
    2B112175

9. Member
    Also should include fuel filter, compressor belt insp/replace, air filter, lubricate all fittings, steering fluid insp, torquing of all bolts, jackplate, motor attach bolts,etc. I probably am missing some, but for $1200 you should be getting that along with your list of items you already know.

10. Member
    Yes, they definitely mentioned some of those things.
    2B112175

11. Member
    Just to be sure. They are pulling the power head and not one of the cylinder heads correct?

12. Member
    Well that engine has o ringed heads, no gasket. Didn’t they say gaskets
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

13. Member
    gotnee pics of calcium build up
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

Joe he texted me a pic. Very small, isolated leak , I would just retorque the powerhead Fastners to spec, clean off the residue and keep an eye on it
    ASSEN POW.jpg
    Last edited by lpugh; 01-27-2023 at 12:34 PM.
    Thank You Leon Pugh

15. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    From my experience... what looks like a relatively small leak at IDLE is likely a rather impressive GEIZER at WOT. Lots of electrical connections and components back there- and it may be leaking to the INSIDE as well (into exhaust). Hence it is probably wise to pull the powerhead, correct any surface imperfections and replace the gasket properly.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EuropeanAM View Post
    From my experience... what looks like a relatively small leak at IDLE is likely a rather impressive GEIZER at WOT. Lots of electrical connections and components back there- and it may be leaking to the INSIDE as well (into exhaust). Hence it is probably wise to pull the powerhead, correct any surface imperfections and replace the gasket properly.
    This was what they told me they were going to do but they have to order parts so the boat will be siting there for a week or so. Thanks all.

NoCAL
    2B112175

17. Member
    The confusion comes from the OP's original question of a "Head gasket"

The OP's problem is actually a "Powerhead gasket"

NoCal is a good guy that has helped me several times with Lowrance questions.

18. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Champ 2001 View Post
    Also should include fuel filter, compressor belt insp/replace, air filter, lubricate all fittings, steering fluid insp, torquing of all bolts, jackplate, motor attach bolts,etc. I probably am missing some, but for $1200 you should be getting that along with your list of items you already know.
    Optimax ProXS's have air filters‽

19. Member
    some do (200) 250s dont
    .................................................. ...the scariest thing in life is the unknown ...................................

20. Member
    300s don’t either, looked like one would have been a good idea
    Ron Fears
    Stroker/300XS
    1E003823

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast