What makes a Megabass reel different from it's Daiwa copy

Always wondered, what makes a Megabass reel different from it's Daiwa copy? They are base Daiwa reels correct? I've seen them online for a few years and never paid much attention but I've been seeing a lot online lately about the IP68. I noticed it doesn't have the T-wing system like the newer higher end Daiwa reels do. What makes it fetch the money that they are sold for?

2. Member
    Price and exclusivity...

Kinda sorta like what a Ruf was to Porsche, or Callaway was to Corvette, or Shelby to Mustang...although that era seems to be a closed chapter of the Daiwa/Megabass collaboration days. Also, the Ito/Megabass reels precede the TWS era of Daiwa, aside the lone reel to sport this feature at the time, which is the T3 platform - which did not sell well due to the Zaion material IMO, high cost, and lack of parts interchangeability of the T3 with other Daiwa reels.
    Last edited by dragon1; 01-26-2023 at 08:30 AM. Reason: Grammar

3. Member
    The IP68 is an older reel based on the OG zillion frame. The difference between the megabass and daiwa variants is mostly aesthetics ie carbon handle, megabass knobs, paint schemes, etc. sometimes a spool as well. The higher price is the nostalgia of the reel and rarity of a mint or close to

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Also, the Ito/Megabass reels precede the TWS era of Daiwa, aside the lone reel to sport this feature at the time, which is the T3 platform - which did not sell well due to the Zaion material IMO, high cost, and lack of parts interchangeability of the T3 with other Daiwa reels.
    Not quite. Unfortunately, there was the Rhodium

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    Not quite. Unfortunately, there was the Rhodium
    Lol...yeah there was that, although for many OG Megabass-Daiwa fanatics, the Rhodium doesn't really qualify.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    Lol...yeah there was that, although for many OG Megabass-Daiwa fanatics, the Rhodium doesn't really qualify.
    I had a very large collection but I got bored with them and sold them. Honestly, as boring as it is, the new zillion spanks them all.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaredn View Post
    I had a very large collection but I got bored with them and sold them. Honestly, as boring as it is, the new zillion spanks them all.
    Ah man... that's a broad statement I love the new US Zillion G SV TW too, but I wouldn't say it "spanks" a Monoblock, nor would I say it spanks an IS - but each of those is a very different animal than the Zillion G SV TW. Come to think of it, I wouldn't say it spanks a Zonda Hedgehog either, but it's also a very different animal! Fortunately, there are lots of different choices out there.

I would agree that part of the allure of the Megabass reels are their rarity, aesthetics, collectibility (for those select few who care), and the ones I've fished are pretty impressive on the water too. Guys, the Rhodium never even moved the needle for me either