2021 Mercury Pro Xs Engine discoloration

SN# 2B786374

Has anyone had engine lower cowling discoloration directly under the exhaust outlet? If so, what did your dealer say? I've called mercury all they had to say was a dealer needs to look at it. Don't want to waste the dealers time or mine as there is no local mercury dealer to me.

2. Member
    What does it look like? Water also comes out of the exhaust, so could be the water causing it or could be high temps or bad paint.
    Mercury 2002 200hp Carbed Saltwater
    OT566776
    2002 Cape Horn 22' Bay

3. Member

4. Member
    I have a little of that on my 150 as well. A dab of polishing compound will take it off. Put a liberal amount of wax afterwards. Right side done/left side original. It looks to be a combination of a little carbon and water impurity deposits. Probably accelerated since it's hot/steamy water.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by moymurfs; 01-26-2023 at 11:10 AM.
    MY Engine Serial Number : 2B411498

5. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dav0957 View Post
    SN# 2B786374

Has anyone had engine lower cowling discoloration directly under the exhaust outlet? If so, what did your dealer say? I've called mercury all they had to say was a dealer needs to look at it. Don't want to waste the dealers time or mine as there is no local mercury dealer to me.

Mercury Dealers Near South Mills, NC

Mercury can't/doesn't make warranty determinations (especially those that require visual inspection) solely by telephone. They rely on their dealer network to inspect, report on that inspection, and if necessary- document via photographs, so that an appropriate determination is made.

A microfiber towel and straight WHITE VINEGAR may help some, followed by Mercury Cowl Finishing Compound would be the suggestion I would make.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

Try Hot sauce.
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Try Hot sauce.
    Frank's or Louisiana?

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

Quote Originally Posted by BassBustingDave View Post
    Frank's or Louisiana?

Of course Frank's..... goes on everything. Boat bling Hot sauce
    Bryan McDonough
    2023 Nitro Z21 XL
    Nitro Team

9. Member
    Ive tried it. Ive tried buffing polishing descaler.

Quote Originally Posted by BMCD View Post
    Of course Frank's..... goes on everything. Boat bling Hot sauce
    Great response! I sure hope someone finds a fix for this. I have not noticed this on my engine, but I also only have 10 hours on it.

Triton TR186DC / Mercury 175 Pro XS 4s Serial #3B043278 / Dual 12' Talons / Dual Solix 12" SI / Mega 360 / Garmin 1242xsv w/ LiveScope LVS34 / Motorguide TM / Bob’s 6" Hydraulic JP

11. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    If you're not able to remove it by the means suggested above, get it in to one of the dealers shown in the link I provided (Post# 5, above).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

12. Member
    Easy….

Looks like calcium deposit,… occurs near exhaust because the heat accelerates evaporation in that area.

Spray it with Vinegar,.. white Vinegar,… and rub off with a wet rag.

No need to rub hard,… just spray, soak, rub, repeat…

I spray my 4S 250 Pro XS all over routinely. Rub, rinse and no white dusty looking calcium anywhere.

Suggest a good coat of Carnuba wax after you get it off which will make it much easier to remove in the future