Looking for Minnkota maxxum /ultrex/fortrex mount swap video

Putting my Maxxum onto a ultrex mount and was looking for a video or instructions on how to do it. (swap breakaway mounts) I have the correct breakaway mount etc to make it work just looking for a video to walk me through it. I could not find anything on youtube.

Thanks in advance, Rich

2. Member
    I was always under the impression that the foretrex was the only one that would fit in the ultrex mount. I’ve done it on mine. Just deploy the motor, take out the Allen bolt at the bow end of the bracket and lift the motor and shaft assembly out of the bracket.

3. Member
    So if you get the fortrex breakaway mount and mount it on the maxxum it will fit right in the ultrex mount. I am looking for a video on how to swap a maxxum breakaway mount with a fortrex breakaway mount so I can use my maxxum with a much sturdier ultrex mount.

4. Member
    The Maxium BG360(Big spring assembly/break away) will only fit on a Maxium mount. The Fortrex BG360 will fit on the on either the Fortrex/Ultrex Mount, but the Ultrex will not fit on the Fortrex Mount. The mounting hole pattern on each is the same. If You have a Maxium and want to keep it as a backup then you can get the BG360(break away part) for the Fortrex and put it on the Maxium. It will fit. All you have to do is Remove the head and slip the BG360 on. As far as video You may have to look at a couple different videos. I would start with the one that changes out steer cables. The wire disconnect is pretty simple. Just make sure you insulate them well when putting things back together.

This is a visual of the Fortrex bow guard on a MAXXUM motor. I had this changed out when I bought my Ultrex.

I try to drive as if my 16 year old Grandson is following me
    Speak as if he is listening and act as if he is watching

6. Member
    Thanks very much for the responses. Good idea on the cable replacement video. I need to learn how to replace cables as well. I am able to do stuff but a very visual person! It is nice having a back up motor that will fill the void when the other is down.

In my case I have two perfectly good maxxum motors but I need to replace and upgrade the mount so I purchased a used ultrex mount and two BG360(break away part) as suggested so I can use my maxxum and have a backup as well.
    Last edited by richierich1; 01-26-2023 at 02:09 PM.

7. Member
    So my upper shaft on my maxxum (2008) is too wide to fit the BG360 breakaway mount so I ordered a new smaller upper shaft so the BG360 can slide up and down the shaft. Just so close to giving up and buying a new motor :)

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by richierich1 View Post
    So my upper shaft on my maxxum (2008) is too wide to fit the BG360 breakaway mount so I ordered a new smaller upper shaft so the BG360 can slide up and down the shaft. Just so close to giving up and buying a new motor :)
    That is very strange it will not fit. As for as I know the outer shaft on all foot pedal troll motors except for Ultrex are the same all the way through the early 2000's. The BG360 should fit aon all.

9. Member
    So my trolling motor guy is sending a breakaway mount that probably is the BG360. The initial one I got was Bowguard assy. FW/FC black 4.5 LY/1122#fortrex. I believe that one only fits a 80 pound thrust upper shaft. My maxxum is a 101 thrust with a wider diameter upper shaft.

I think you are correct about the BG360. He is also sending me a different size upper shaft. More to follow :) thanks!

10. Member
    Bradrodfish,

you were right on about the BG360 mount. thanks for your input and everyone else who responded. :)