Merc 4 stroke break in genaric question

For an optimal break in would it be more advantageous to have a full load (gear, gas and maybe even full live wells) vs a lighter load or doesn't it make a difference. Thx. Steve
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

2. Member
    I don't think its a big deal as long as the procedure if followed correctly. Gotta think, this engine could be a going on a heavy ocean center console or on a speedboat, break in is going to be the same regardless of weight.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

3. Member
    I went with a full load including livewells full. Make it work hard to seat the rings!

4. Member
    This is a great question and I'll be curious to how the pro's answer it. On the big Florida forum they say break it in like you stole it or it'll "make oil".
    2022 mercury 250HP
    s/n 3B216469
    0 hrs.
    Smart craft gauges

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 5keepers2 View Post
    I went with a full load including livewells full. Make it work hard to seat the rings!
    That's what I planned on. Thx
    2023 Ranger 521R DC
    Mercury 250 Pro XS 4S

6. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Really not going to be a problem either way, as long as the procedure is followed precisely. See the FAQ Section at the top of this forum, as there are a couple added details you may want to consider.

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor

7. Dusti Zerbo
    Going to piggy back off the original post. My new motor should be here in a week or so. I have a hydraulic jack plate on my boat, during the break in process should the jack plate be all the way down?

8. Mercury 3L/4 Stroke/Verado Moderator EuropeanAM's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Dusti114 View Post
    Going to piggy back off the original post. My new motor should be here in a week or so. I have a hydraulic jack plate on my boat, during the break in process should the jack plate be all the way down?
    Just as a reminder- we do have a "one engine per post/thread" policy: See Announcements at the top of the Forum for info.

It is not necessary to run your jackplate "all the way down"- engine height should be set at normal/optimum level, and follow the instructions found in the FAQ Section (as well as Owner's Manual).

Dual Mercury Master Technician- for Mercury Outboards, Mercruiser and Mercury Racing at European Marine in Greenville, SC.
    Still consider myself a "Marine Apprentice" after 47 years (learn something new every day).
    Mercury Parts, Mercury Outboards, Smartcraft & Accessories, Injector Service, TDR Reeds- BBC Sponsor