Thread: Steez reels

Steez reels

Looking for best prices on steez reels can anyone touch Japan prices in the states
    Thanks for looking
    07 tracker TX 190
    75 horse Mercury
    999 KVD, 859 , and 798 SI HD

2. Member
    In general, I doubt that any US retailer can "touch" JDM online retailer prices because the JDM folks don't have to factor in upfront warranty pricing and a slew of other non-consumer considerations such as brick and mortar facilities/storage and carrying a large in-stock inventory of fishing tackle compared to the major JDM online retailers. For instance, my preferred Shimano 21 Antares DC JDM reel supplier only maintains one right-hand and one-left hand model of the top tier halo Shimano low profile casting reel in his in-stock inventory. It's simple economics from his perspective and mine, I will only ever purchase one Shimano 21 Antares DC right-hand model reel at a time since if I buy more than one reel it "auto-magically" causes me to incur US Customs duty fees since I will be above the nominal $800 price level of incoming external e-commerce goods that are "allowed" before invoking whatever trigger that incurs customs duty fees.

In the rare instance that I order two or more such reels (I once bought four reels and was charged $33 per reel in customs fees), he sends me an email stating "I will reach out to my (regional) distributor and acquire three more reels and drop ship them to you when the other reels arrive." So, my preferred JDM online retailer has a very small amount of in-stock inventory and sunk cost of investment in the inventory they do carry and they don't ever have to warranty any of the reels they sell, it sounds like a business plan that encourages economic undercutting of retail entities that do have to carry a large amount of in stock inventory and invest in a brick & mortar setup along with all of the other non-consumer considerations such as paying for employee salaries and health care.

Having said that, I support my local tackle shops, and everyone is pleased with business in general despite the frustration that Shimano USA won't bring the Antares DC to the US market (that's me mostly complaining to them by the way since I miss having the old Calais DC reels available for purchase). Despite the advantages that JDM online retailers have as far as pricing structures go, they certainly can't provide any of the add-on services I still need, such as ongoing reel maintenance/repair, spooling up line on the new reels, building custom panfish, bass, and muskie casting rods, and a sundry host of other value-added services that no online e-commerce retailer can provide.

Lastly, 2022 saw the steepest decline in the valuation of the Japanese Yen in recent memory, resulting in a historic 32-year low valuation against the US Dollar in mid-October of 2022. While this low valuation is a hedge against rising inflation for external consumers, it primarily stems from a long-term economic policy espoused by the Japanese Ministry of Finance (via the BoJ) to deliberately keep Japanese goods affordable (JDM reels) to foreign entities (consumers) such as us. So, the short answer to your question is simply no.

Please have a great day!
    2022 Vexus VX20/Mercury 250 Pro XS | 2021 Vexus AVX 1980/Mercury 150 Pro XS | "Overkill is underrated!" - "Då Som Nu För Alltid"

Price aside, an important consideration when looking at flagship Daiwa Steez, and Exist LT for that matter is the warranty AND Executive Service. The US versions, while more expensive, have 5 years of warranty and Executive Service. JDM models have no warranty and no service options. For those who aren't aware, Executive Service offers the buyer of a new US Daiwa Steez or Exist LT free, expedited cleaning, repair, and service for 5 years from the date of purchase. All the owner has to do is send them to an authorized Executive Service Center with proof of purchase, and they get priority, expedited turnaround service for a full 5 years. The Tackle Trap is of course an Executive Service and Warranty Center for Daiwa.

4. Member
    Yes, warranty can come in handy but most parts are easily available through JDM sites.

Shipping a reel to get cleaned can be handy but I would think that most of us know how to adequately clean a reel. It is not rocket since.

Plus I had once bought 4 high end Shimano a from one JDM retailer. They all had a problem that I had to get fixed by a US reel service shop. Guess what the JDM shop paid for all the fixes.

Do yourselves a favor and buy your stuff JDM, so that the manufacturers understand that their USDM prices are too high.

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by freelancer27 View Post
    Yes, warranty can come in handy but most parts are easily available through JDM sites.

Shipping a reel to get cleaned can be handy but I would think that most of us know how to adequately clean a reel. It is not rocket since.

Plus I had once bought 4 high end Shimano a from one JDM retailer. They all had a problem that I had to get fixed by a US reel service shop. Guess what the JDM shop paid for all the fixes.

Do yourselves a favor and buy your stuff JDM, so that the manufacturers understand that their USDM prices are too high.
    I don't think that the overseas manufacturers can dictate that a USDM shop makes a profit as a dealer and rep for their products...although there are such manufacturer "mandates" for MAP pricing, there still is the overhead cost + ROI of a brick and motar to stay in business and provide both warranty and service to the product of the manufacturer...and that is essentially for any and all products, not just the fishing industry.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dragon1 View Post
    I don't think that the overseas manufacturers can dictate that a USDM shop makes a profit as a dealer and rep for their products...although there are such manufacturer "mandates" for MAP pricing, there still is the overhead cost + ROI of a brick and motar to stay in business and provide both warranty and service to the product of the manufacturer...and that is essentially for any and all products, not just the fishing industry.
    Currency rates aside, why does a USDM retailer require so much higher prices compared to Japan?

I would think that cost of labor in the USA ( given the lesser social costs and wages, etc. ) are lower than in Japan and in most other western countries. Shipping and import procedures might add cost but should minimal. Curious to be educated on this!

7. Member
    R.O.I. vs overhead...or read it as you will in terms of profit vs greed, on all levels. When there is cost involved in a buisness that is not all based upon labor, inventory, or brick and motar costs alone...business insurance (health, hazard, material, product, E&O, worker's comp., etc.), taxation of businesses and govenment "involvement" in the form of taxes and regulations (read pay Uncle Sam per each regulation to further fill gov't coffers), is the main reason for higher retails and selling prices. Think beyond just the "math" of what you and I believe to be the overall cost of "doing business".