Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Considering a Bullet

Hey guys, I’m thinking pretty hard about trading my 2017 Triton 21TRX for a 21XRD. I’ve found a really clean one with colors I like. I’ve always been a huge fan of bullets, I think they’re the best looking boat on the water. I fish a lot of tournaments in all different conditions, so I’m a little concerned I’ll miss some of the fishability of my Triton. When I bought my Triton, I talked myself out of a bullet because of some those differences, but I’ve still wanted a bullet and I don’t think I’m going to be able to shake that. Overall, I know the bullet will blow around a little more in the wind, maybe not fish quite as well in waves, and the storage will be a lot different than what I’m used to (I think I’ll have as much storage or more, just not quite as accessible due to the center box layout). I’ve thought long and hard about this, and I think those are all things I can live with for the looks, speed, and maneuverability of a bullet. I hope to take the one I’m looking at for a test drive and hopefully that will make my decision easier. I’ve been in a 21XD once and I remember being impressed with it, but it’s been a while. For those of you who came from a wider boat with a more traditional layout, is there anything you find yourself missing? Thanks in advance for any input!

2. Member
    I had a Triton before I bought my Bullet. It was a 18-6 and the Bullet is a 21XDC. The Bullet has plenty of storage, it’s just laid out a lil different. Storage area is deeper on the Bullet compared to the Triton. The Bullet is more responsive to the throttle as you would expect. Bullets have the wow factor, so be prepared to talk boats at the gas station or store every time you stop. Lol

3. Member
    Honest assessment from someone who's in his second Bullet but there probably won't be a third. They fish great, but if you plan to a do a lot of livescoping, especially team tournaments, you will definitely want to get in one on the water and get up on the front deck and see how you like it. It is fine for one person, it is considerably harder for 2 people than some of the wider, heavier boats.

I've been in a Bullet since 2007, I've won a lot of money in them. I never had an issue until I started livscopping. Never felt hindered by the boat until now.

4. Member
    Take a look at the XRS before deciding anything.

5. Member
    I ran a Tr 21 before getting my current Bullet. I loved my Triton (I had two tr 21s) it was fast 77 solo, it fished great, handled rough water good….BUT I can honestly say the Bullet is UNREAL. You will be surprised at how well a Bullet handles rough water, how well they fish, how great the livewell is, how goos it looks and most importantly how fast it is…I could go on forever. Buy the Bullet, you will LOVE it!
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

6. Member
    My partner and I have fished front deck on a 20XD and a 21XRD since about late 90s. No problem with us. Just takes a min to get used to.
    2020 Allison XB 21
    Merc 300R
    2018-SST Bullet
    Merc 300R
    Bullet 20XD
    300XS DBR

I’ve owned several brands and have fished from way more. I’ve loved Bullets since the 90’s. I don’t get into waves like on the Great Lakes, but I’ve hit tons of rough water and the 21x boats (21’10”) can handle the rough stuff. Fishability wise, stability, ride and performance……I love my Bullet and will never own another brand.

2008 BULLET 21XD 2007 Merc 300xs

8. Member
    The bullet will not ride as good in rough water. Other than that you won't see any major downside. They're different boats that appeal to different characteristics. Both are good boats.
    2017 TRITON 21 TRX ELITE DC
    2023 250 MERCURY PRO XS
    23 FURY 3
    Z LOCK 10" JACKPLATE
    LOWRANCE GHOST 36V
    Garmin 93sv
    Garmin LVS34
    Rite Hite Turret
    HDS 12 GEN 3
    HDS 9 GEN 3

It’s all in the design and size but the TR21x I had didn’t ride as good as my 21xd. Don’t get me wrong, I was a big Triton fan and still think they look good. Wished I went ahead and pulled the trigger back in the 90’s on the first Bullet I wanted. But to each his own.

10. Member
    I would look hard and fish in an XRS. The only thing will be giving up is the super wide front deck. Maybe some really rough water offshore fishing stability.

11. Member
    I had a TR-21 with a 225 EFI fastest out of the hole boat I've ever been in, but my 21RDC isn't far behind, but my Bullet fishes better, rides better, faster, and handles rough water better, had it on St Clair in some rough stuff, to each is own, but I'll be in a Bullet till I stop running a boat

The way I see it is: some guys like a wide tug boat front end like on a Ranger. That’s fine. That’s preference. Bullets aren’t a slouch. They have an aircraft carrier front deck. Super long and fairly wide for their “Bullet” shape. When I fish on say the starboard side, when I hook one, I don’t run over to the port side like Iaconelli. Can’t see the point. I go from front to back or back to front. So I don’t need a “10 foot” wide deck. I guess it’s the guys who’s used to super wide decks that have an issue with a Bullet’s deck. Which that is fine also. As far as rough stuff, don’t be fooled, a Bullet can handle rough stuff. The wider Ranger (from my experience in them) will put you into traction in the rough. To me, the real wide ones ride rougher in the rough. Not so when calm, but rough yes.

13. Member
    I appreciate everyone’s input, definitely some good feedback! I’m going to look at it in the morning, I got some more pictures of it and like what I see so far. As for the suggestions on the XRS, I’ve looked at them and like them a lot. It would honestly probably be a better fit for me, but I don’t really want to spend the extra money for one right right now. I really wasn’t looking to trade boats anytime soon, but this one popped up and caught my interest.

14. Member
    If you get the chance, take a ride in the Bullet, you'll be convinced vey quickly, I've ridden in a lot of different boats, nothing rides like a Bullet Owning one has a very high since of pride

15. Member
    If you ride In the bullet you will feel the difference in quality in my opinion. Boat just feels tight. The performance is unreal, handling speed etc. but the fit and finish seems to be better to me. Is all personal preference im sure but I love my bullet. Yeah the deck isn’t as wide, but I’ve not had any issues with two people on front deck fishing. Kind of like a Harley, you don’t know the hype unless you’ve had one.

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by WVBullet View Post
    The way I see it is: some guys like a wide tug boat front end like on a Ranger. That’s fine. That’s preference. Bullets aren’t a slouch. They have an aircraft carrier front deck. Super long and fairly wide for their “Bullet” shape. When I fish on say the starboard side, when I hook one, I don’t run over to the port side like Iaconelli. Can’t see the point. I go from front to back or back to front. So I don’t need a “10 foot” wide deck. I guess it’s the guys who’s used to super wide decks that have an issue with a Bullet’s deck. Which that is fine also. As far as rough stuff, don’t be fooled, a Bullet can handle rough stuff. The wider Ranger (from my experience in them) will put you into traction in the rough. To me, the real wide ones ride rougher in the rough. Not so when calm, but rough yes.
    This is a great explanation of how the front deck looks, feels and should be used while fishing. I do the exact same thing. I started doing it about 15yrs ago to keep my kids from running up on the front deck with the net when I would hook up on one. I almost knock my second son in the lake one time. He doesn’t move off the rear deck now unless the net is called!

17. Blazer Boats Moderator Rebel1's Avatar
    Bullet makes a great boat, and it is the best-looking boat on the market. Does it fit everyone? Nope. Is it lacking things other boats have? Yes. Go find someone close to you and go for a ride and fish out of one.

18. Member
    You're more than welcome to take a ride in my Bullet anytime

19. Member
    Jdskeeter - Jeff Price out of NC has an AMAZING 2021 XRS for sale. Three brand new graphs boat is super clean. He is selling because his son just got a signed to fish for Carsen Newman College and can’t have a 300 so Jeff bought him a new SDC with a 250. His XRS has a 300r. If your interested in seeing it let me know. I will find out where he listed it and you can look at the pics. AWESOME boat.
    2021 Bullet SDC
    Mercury 300R

20. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jaxbass View Post
    Jdskeeter - Jeff Price out of NC has an AMAZING 2021 XRS for sale. Three brand new graphs boat is super clean. He is selling because his son just got a signed to fish for Carsen Newman College and can’t have a 300 so Jeff bought him a new SDC with a 250. His XRS has a 300r. If your interested in seeing it let me know. I will find out where he listed it and you can look at the pics. AWESOME boat.
    I appreciate it, I’ve seen that one posted a few places and it is an awesome boat! Great colors and loaded out, but I’m not quite ready to spend that kind of money on one right now. I tried to work out a trade on the 21XRD, but me and the dealer couldn’t quite reach a deal. Looks like I’ll stay in the Triton for now, but when I decide it’s time to upgrade an XRS will probably be at the top of the list.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast