O H Ivie Information / Help

Evening!

I have a few questions concerning a OH Ivie trip my buddy and I are planning for the 7-13th of May this year. I driving about 15 hours to fish the lake my first time.

1. Will the fish be shallow that time of year or deep? I would think post spawn but it may be summer patterns by then.

2. Do any of you know of any good guides not charging $700-$2000 for a 7-8 hour trip. I was shocked when I started looking for a guide for 1-2 days.
    I wanted to book Roland Martin for a guide trip the first week of this month. I thought it was crazy he wanted $1300 for 7 hours! The guides on Ivie aren't legends and some are asking more than a LEGEND! If you know of any reasonable guides that can put us on areas we can fish for 7-10 days and figure out the rest, I'd really appreciate the help.
    3. Are there boat lanes in the timber to run the main part of the lake?
    4. About how far is San Angelo from the lake?

Thanks again. Ya'll have a good day.

Glynn

2. Member
    Wendall Ramsey is who you need top fish with, honest and nice guy with no drama or misleading and is always on fish. Angelo is 50 miles one way, deer are bad late evening/ early morning so watch out for that. Main lake is safe to run, north end of lake need to stay in river channel. Won’t speculate where fish will be but if they are shallow prepare to get your boat scuffed up a bit.

Had a tournament there last week of March in 2022 and the fish were just starting to move up. So I figure what you are thinking would be about right.

I agree about Ramsey but there ALL going to cost a premium.

The big Timber around the river channel can jump out and bite you-- there's some tall trees in that lake. Most may be showing now but last time I was there they were just under the surface.

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    What Mike and "Cx21 Pro" said. If you're looking at San Angelo for lodging, I'd get a room at Elm Creek Village. David has everything you need. If he's booked, he'll find you a place to stay, he even has access to a couple of trailers there next to the marina. Lake is currently 23.35' low and unless we get rain, will be a bit lower by May. Going north out of Elm Creek, stay in the channel. The lake is plenty deep, but you get out of the channel, you can get real shallow real quick in some places.

5. Member
    Thanks fellas! Appreciate the help.

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Cx21 Pro View Post
    Wendall Ramsey is who you need top fish with, honest and nice guy with no drama or misleading and is always on fish. Angelo is 50 miles one way, deer are bad late evening/ early morning so watch out for that. Main lake is safe to run, north end of lake need to stay in river channel. Won’t speculate where fish will be but if they are shallow prepare to get your boat scuffed up a bit.
    ^^^^

To be perfectly honest, there are so many out of state rigs coming in and the lake is getting hammered. By May I probably won't go to Ivie anymore and will be fishing other lakes that the fish are not beat to death. I seldom fish with a butt seat up front, has to be pretty rough water for me to puyt one in. Couple of weeks ago, wind was less than 5 mph all day, several periods of just flat calm wind. Had my butt seat in due to boat wakes, and I wasn't even in a busy part of the lake. If you come make sure to get a guide and i like the suggestion of Wendall for your choice. I wouldn't suggest just showing up and putting the boat in the water, have talked to many many out of state fisherman that fished for two- three says and never got a bite lately.

Brady Stanford is another guide that is local, not outrageous in price and will also help with the set up of your electronics. Good luck to you and if I see you on the water (if I am still going to Ivie by then) I will help with information if I am on anything. Be safe on the drive down!

8. Member
    brady is the best for livescope, wendall is the best for non livescope. your not going to get many bites if you try it ur self

9. Member
    That lake is tiny and is in the middle of nowhere, and it's turned into a circus as of the last few years. It looks appealing on the internet, but that's a long drive past a lot of good lakes coming from MS. Just my 2 cents. In May, it's subject to be 100 degrees with no wind/no fish. Just wanted to throw out caution because when I say it's a long drive from nowhere, that's an understatement.

Quote Originally Posted by ToledoBendChamp View Post
    That lake is tiny and is in the middle of nowhere, and it's turned into a circus as of the last few years. It looks appealing on the internet, but that's a long drive past a lot of good lakes coming from MS. Just my 2 cents. In May, it's subject to be 100 degrees with no wind/no fish. Just wanted to throw out caution because when I say it's a long drive from nowhere, that's an understatement.
    Don't want to rain on anyone's dream list ... this along with what TX201 and Phoenix said is exactly right.
    For every above average angler that comes to Ivie and is somewhat successful.......there are literally hundreds that go home humbled.
    Be interesting to see the number of hours/days spent per fish on this lake. Even the guys who have it "dialed in" can spend days between bites.

11. Member
    FOMO! Good luck going to a lake everyone in the country is pounding! Personally, I wouldn’t drive by very many east Texas lakes to go to the chit show Ivie is!

Fished a tx on Ivie a week ago. My partner and I did not get bit all day. I know the lake well. Come on down. It’s easy to catch 10 pounders on Ivie.

Quote Originally Posted by WB View Post
    Fished a tx on Ivie a week ago. My partner and I did not get bit all day. I know the lake well. Come on down. It’s easy to catch 10 pounders on Ivie.
    That's what the internet says, 10 lbers jump in the boat! There may be more to some of these big catches than is being told, stay tuned!