Thread: 203 batteries?

203 batteries?

For those 203 owners running 4 batteries, are you still running and onboard charger, and if so, where is it located? Pics will help.

Thinking about adding another battery, but with the extremely limited space, I'd have to remove the charger from the starboard compartment as I don't feel there would be enough room for everything. Ideas on where to move the charger to?

2. Member
    I have the 3 TM batteries on the port side with one tucked under the transom sideways. The main battery is on the starboard side along the gunnel and under the transom. I replaced the plastic wall that is between the battery area and the livewells with a piece of 1/8" aluminum. I bolted the charger hanging sideways along the top of that in front of the oil tank. I got rid of the huge old dual pro 4 bank and put the smaller Noco genius 3 bank for the TM and the tiny one bank noco next to that. Perfect setup and both plug into a shorty pigtail then to the extension cord.

3. Champion Boats Moderator Lea's Avatar
    Got pics of that set-up, Glen?

4. Member
    You could consider removing the charger. I did, couldn't be happier.
    GETFISHED !!!

5. Member
    I have a 1999 203. I used a 3/4" piece of wood I had and cut it to fit on top of my gas tank. I wrapped it in marine carpet and used metal L brackets to attach it to the removable back panel. I am running a 36V ultrex and have 3 27 series batteries in the rear port compartment. My starting battery and oil tank is on the starboard side. Minn Kota 440D mounted on top of the piece of carpeted wood. No clearance issues when the rear deck lid is down.

6. Member
    Mount your chargers on top of you fuel tank. My dad's 181 has had his there since the year 2000. I removed the original charger from my 187 when the case crumbled to bits and put 2 noco 2 bank chargers on top of the fuel tank. I have three batteries on the port side and one on the starboard plus power pole pumps. The 187's had the say rear layout as most of the 203's. All you have to do is silicone a piece of plywood on top of the tank then screw into the plywood.

mgur](https://imgur.com/SG8bIni)
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)

7. Member
    Thanks for the ideas guys!

For those that have the chargers mounted to the top of the gas tank, have you ever had any issues with the extra weight of the boards and chargers resting directly on the tank? Nothing ever shifting or vibrating loose from rough water or even years of trailering? I'm assuming any excess heat that may be given off from the charger would be absorbed by the carpet and wood and not even make it to the top of the tank?

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bass-o-maticjm View Post
    Thanks for the ideas guys!

For those that have the chargers mounted to the top of the gas tank, have you ever had any issues with the extra weight of the boards and chargers resting directly on the tank? Nothing ever shifting or vibrating loose from rough water or even years of trailering? I'm assuming any excess heat that may be given off from the charger would be absorbed by the carpet and wood and not even make it to the top of the tank?
    If I am home and the boat is in the garage, I leave the rear compartment open when I charge the batteries. If I am in a slip overnight, I vent it about 3-4 inches. Again, my charger is screwed down to the board, the board itself is attached to the back panel with 2 L brackets (through bolted) so there are no issues running down the lake in the rough stuff.

9. Member
    Boat is stored an hour from me at the lake. I have 4 group 31 monsters and it is tight but works well. I bought the new chargers so I could switch to lithium down the road. Getting too old to pull those 80 pound'rs around.

10. Member
    I have been running a charger setup like this for over 20 years between my father's Champ and mine. Zero issues. Both of our boats have seen more than their fair share of rough water on Toledo Bend and in South Louisiana bays. When charging I leave my 3 back compartments cracked let out any potential trapped gas or heat.
    '98 187 Elite, 175 EFI (Serial 0G750796)

11. Member
    Again, thanks for the insights guys. Much appreciated!

I used to have 4 group 27 batteries in my 203. Two on the starboard side. One for starting and electronics. The other one was coupled to the two on the port side for my 36V Ultrex. My 3 bank charger was mounted to a board across the gas tank. I have now gone to one 36V lithium in the port side for the Ultrex and one group 31 in the starboard side for cranking and a house battery, two Helix units. My Garmin with Livescope is all connected to an Amped 30A 12V in my starboard side rod locker. I'm eventually going to replace the cranking batter with lithium but for now this all works great.
    Steve in Texas
    1999 ChampioN 203 DC
    2011 Mercury Optimax 250 Pro XS
    Ultrex 36v 112# - 2 10" Helix - 1 10" Garmin for Livescope Plus