How to get dry Livewells

I tried to replace the flaps on my livewell pumps but I still get water in the livewells no matter what setting I try. I don't use my livewells at all and would like to clean them and keep them bone dry for storage. I'm not sure if I can plug them, if so where , what size plug, and inside or outside of boat is best?

Thanks

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    I don’t know if every year/model is the same, but I believe a 5/8” plug will fit the outside intake.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    I had a problem with mine on a 97 461VS and replaced the guts on my valves only to then figure out my problem is the cables. They are not getting the full stroke on the valve arm to work valves correctly. Going to see how hard it is to install new cables.

4. Member
    As far as inside or outside, you can actually do both, and I recommend it if your going to use it as storage.! Just for peace of mind.!

5. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by clayshooter View Post
    As far as inside or outside, you can actually do both, and I recommend it if your going to use it as storage.! Just for peace of mind.!
    What holes do I plug up inside and outside?

6. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Crankin View Post
    What holes do I plug up inside and outside?
    The drain(s) on the inside and the intake on the back of the hull. All of them required you to unscrew the screen (metal inside, plastic outside).

7. mikesxpress
    You can just plug the pump inlet under the screen on the transom with a Caplug insert that can be found at an auto parts store or hardware store. You can't use a standard bilge snap in plug here due to the handle sticking out. Install the plug and reattach the screw on screen. Standard bilge plug in the livewell over flow. I do this every winter after blowing out the pumps/hoses to keep the pump systems from freezing/cracking during winter fishing trips. Keep in mind if you use the rig in rain or backwash the deck the water will accumulate in the livewells and has no way to drain when these openings are plugged.

You have to plug the overflow too in my experience
    99 Ranger 217 Cherokee w/115hp Evinrude