Livewell pump replacement HELP!!

Hey guys I have a 1989 champion 184 SCR , I think I’m not 100% sure, I know it has the Johnson 150hp v6 outboard as well as the gas tank that covers the livewell and bilge pump. It is also equipped with the hydro aerator system. And this is where I am needing help becasue the previous owner removed and broke the original live well pump and I am very confused on which one I need to buy to be a replacement everyone I see online doesn’t have a spot for the cable to go through it like the original one.The original has a 2 valve switch on it. If anyone has any tips or directions that would be wonderful! Thank you.

2. Member
    I have the exact boat I believe and the livewell pump is a Johnson. I'm having trouble uploading a pic here. My email is glkelner@hotmail.com and I can send some of what I did

3. Member
    just sent you an email thank you!

4. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    If you're talking about the pump that fills the livewell, I recommend the SPX Flo 38703. SPX is a div of Johnson who bought out the original Mayfair pumps. It's available through several retailers.

SPX Flow 38703 - Google Search

5. Member
    okay so where does the 2nd cable go to? one of the cables is connected to the back live well valve that has the push/pull function to empty that live well but how does the other valve operate? like what makes that valve open and close

6. Born on th Llano Estacado Tx Champ's Avatar
    I had a 90 176. Both livewell controls were on the right panel under the throttle and between the outer hull and the inner top cap wall. They are push/pull cables with round knobs. So it should be with the one for the rear control. If it's gone, you're probably not going to find a replacement. You might look for an old manual choke cable off an old pickup.

7. Member
    I had the same kind of problem but I moved it a foot or so inline when I put new hoses on. I don't know if thats possible in your case.

8. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Take the battery compartment lid off, makes it easier when you go bilge diving.

9. Member
    thank you guys I found the 2nd pull lever so that is great, and did find out that my in line valve that opens and closes is bad for the front live well however those are easy to find and replace