Thread: Eyra or Puma

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by nojretlas View Post
    Coming out of a Ranger so the biggest issue is probably going to be the deck size. Unfortunately at this point I think the STS may be out of the questions so it's a matter of Puma FTD vs Eyra.
    I am in NJ so a bunch of fishing in/around docks, shallow water. I take a yearly trip to Champlain which is the biggest water I would encounter, my 518 w/200 did just fine out there 95% of the time.
    I am not a super fan of the skinny deck of the FTD or the Eyra but my thought was the Eyra would be a bit more nimble and quicker.
    I want a 20' boat this time around. Maybe I will start with an older Eyra to try. No Cat dealer near me so hard to see all the models, I have only seen a Cougar and Puma FTD and both were mid 2000s.
    The Puma FTD is no longer made. Only the Cougar FTD, Eyra, Lynx, Puma STS, and Jaguar. Of course there is the Caracal but speaking of 20 + footers.

2. Scraps
    Liked the "sleek" look of the Eyra first time I saw one in the water. It was John Crews' boat at the Delaware River.
    2017 Phoenix 819
    2016 200ProXS, s/n 2B359849, Mod 1200P73BD

3. Member
    The 518 ranger has a pretty wide deck for it's size. My margay has more deck space up front at the bow than an eyra so that will be something you will have to get used to. I think the water you fish on is important but just as important is your style of fishing,if your front deck is going to look like Bryan thrifts then you are probably going to hate the eyra deck size. I will say this there is something to the way you sit in these boats that I never thought would matter but it does. I know these are the babies of the bunch but it illustrates my point, in my margay you really sit low in the boat like let your right elbow rest on the gunnel low and on my buddy's sabre ftd I feel like I am riding way up high on top of the boat and I am only 5,11 so not tall by any stretch. I say this because his boat is so much easier to get up and down from the seat when driving compared to mine but I feel way more connected to my boat while driving. I guess I say all this cause they really are different boats in their line up compared to say ranger where everything is literally the same but longer or shorter. You need to crawl all over these boats and think about what is most important to you out of the boat and what is most comfortable to you. In my opinion if you can slide into a slightly used caracal that might just be the best of all options given what you are coming from. Good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by Grapela View Post
    The 518 ranger has a pretty wide deck for it's size. My margay has more deck space up front at the bow than an eyra so that will be something you will have to get used to. I think the water you fish on is important but just as important is your style of fishing,if your front deck is going to look like Bryan thrifts then you are probably going to hate the eyra deck size. I will say this there is something to the way you sit in these boats that I never thought would matter but it does. I know these are the babies of the bunch but it illustrates my point, in my margay you really sit low in the boat like let your right elbow rest on the gunnel low and on my buddy's sabre ftd I feel like I am riding way up high on top of the boat and I am only 5,11 so not tall by any stretch. I say this because his boat is so much easier to get up and down from the seat when driving compared to mine but I feel way more connected to my boat while driving. I guess I say all this cause they really are different boats in their line up compared to say ranger where everything is literally the same but longer or shorter. You need to crawl all over these boats and think about what is most important to you out of the boat and what is most comfortable to you. In my opinion if you can slide into a slightly used caracal that might just be the best of all options given what you are coming from. Good luck.
    Caracal keeps entering my mind.
    Thanks sir....
    Boatless

5. Member
    Caracal keeps entering my mind.
    Thanks sir....
    How far from Thayers in Norwich, CT are you? Might be worth the trip over there to see Richie. He has a Caracal, Eyra and Puma STS in stock there. I believe he even has a few used Basscats in stock as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Atrain89 View Post
    How far from Thayers in Norwich, CT are you? Might be worth the trip over there to see Richie. He has a Caracal, Eyra and Puma STS in stock there. I believe he even has a few used Basscats in stock as well.
    Bout 4 hours...I'll make a weekend out of it with my wife
    Boatless

7. Member
    I have a hard time believing the Puma STS is only 3-4 mph slower than an Eyra. Seems too good to be true. Curious what Basscat says…
    BassCat Cougar FTD / Mercury 250 ProXS
    Lowrance / Garmin

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JBIGUNS View Post
    I have a hard time believing the Puma STS is only 3-4 mph slower than an Eyra. Seems too good to be true. Curious what Basscat says…
    Same here. I just can't understand looking at the sizes of those boats, why the puma wouldn't be significantly slower.
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

9. Member
    I have a friend that had his sts with a 250 hit 80. Not an everyday thing but the sts is a fast boat for the size. The deal with the eyra is it’s governed in the hull if that is ever pulled out of it. There won’t be a bass boat with a 250 that can touch it.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    I have a friend that had his sts with a 250 hit 80. Not an everyday thing but the sts is a fast boat for the size. The deal with the eyra is it’s governed in the hull if that is ever pulled out of it. There won’t be a bass boat with a 250 that can touch it.
    That's pretty crazy, I always thought it topped out around 74 or so.

Did your friend have the boat completely empty, minimal fuel kinda deal?
    2020 Nitro Z20 Pro Package

11. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcjenson View Post
    That's pretty crazy, I always thought it topped out around 74 or so.

Did your friend have the boat completely empty, minimal fuel kinda deal?
    he was solo but with one full and one quarter. And a fishing load. It was not a speed specific deal. I was very impressed with it. Most sts boats are running 75-77. Some 78 depends on the driver and condition. That’s part of the reason I ordered a sts is there isn’t much speed drop between it and a eyra. But I will definitely be getting another eyra if they ever let it run as fast as it can. The eyra is my favorite boat of all time. It’s just a awesome performance boat with my favorite layout.

12. Mississippi River Rat Kittycat2012's Avatar
    I have a hot eyra imo and had a hard time running down Addison’s Sts on Rayburn. I’m really impressed with how fast the sts is …. She will move for a big girl.
    Last edited by Kittycat2012; 02-15-2023 at 05:50 AM.
    2023 Basscat Eyra
    Mercury pro team - Humminbird - Bobs - Power Pole - Garmin
    Hammer Rods
    The Tackle Trap

http://www.hammerrods.com/
    http://tackletrap.com/

13. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BASStex1988 View Post
    Governed in the hull? How does that work?

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Governed in the hull? How does that work?
    It is not a governor like on motors. It is a lip at the rear of the hull that keeps the nose down and a bit more of the hull in contact with the water. It can limit top end speeds. I do not know if the Eyra has one but the Sabre does.

USN Retired
    2020 Basscat Caracal
    2020 Mercury 225 ProXS 4s

15. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 06 SB View Post
    It is not a governor like on motors. It is a lip at the rear of the hull that keeps the nose down and a bit more of the hull in contact with the water. It can limit top end speeds. I do not know if the Eyra has one but the Sabre does.
    Can it be taken out?

Quote Originally Posted by bassfisher444 View Post
    Can it be taken out?
    Grinder would probably do it!
    Boatless

There is a lot of speculation on the governor in the Eyra hull. It is much more complicated than the given hook as a description. No, you can not just grind it out and to try would be a mistake. It is limited to right where Elwood has his operating. Getting more is possible, though driver control suffers in this hull form.

. It is limited to right where Elwood has his operating..... can you explain this statement
    Boatless

19. Member
    . It is limited to right where Elwood has his operating..... can you explain this statement
    I think he is saying Elwood has pushed his Eyra/300R to the limit after much trial and tweaking. (Many different props) He’s just short of 90 last I heard.

20. Member
    basscat is saving you from yourself!!!
    2022 z519 cup 225 merc 4s ser # 3B210484. 2--hds12 live units. 2 poles, atlas plate, ghost, hamby's, active target, merc digital gauges
    2002 basscat pantera 3 (dad bought new) sold 8-2-22
    2000 stratos 20 ss (bought new) 200 hp Rude ficht great boat/motor sold 11-21
    pulled by a 2500HD Denali
    proud dad of an ARMY Captain
    MAGA
    ASE/GM Master tech before tools

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast