Replacing Seat Post Inserts

I have a couple seat post inserts on my 2020 520c that need replacing. I purchased the kit/insert Springfield recommended for this task (Bushing repair kit #2100040). When looking at the insert on the boat, the carpet covers the insert right up to the seat post. Pulling the bad insert will probably destroy the insert and come out of the smaller opening of the carpet, but installing the new one looks like I will need to trim the carpet or cut a couple small slices to fit the insert and then reglue over the insert.

Others that have replaced these, what did you do with the carpet above the insert?

Thanks,
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

2. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    The last insert I replaced was in 2014, but I didn’t have to do anything with the carpet then. I just now inspected the bushing situation on the front and rear posts of my 2022, and while the carpet is right up to the edge of the inserts, it looks like the insert will come out [and go in again] without damaging the carpet. If, when you remove the insert, it looks like the new one won’t go in without tearing the carpet, I would very carefully trim around the opening with an Xacto knife or razor blade. The carpet will have some flexibility, and the insert is tapered at the bottom, so even if the fit is tight it probably will work out.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio

3. Member
    I just replaced mine on my 2012 Z521. Carpet is like what you described. I took a chisel to the old one to slice it into a few pieces to remove easily without damaging the carpet. The new one drove right in using the wooden dowel in the kit. Did not have to cut the carpet and it came out good as new.

4. Member
    Just replaced mine in the front. Yes I had the same issue. I just banged the new insert in and just had the extra carpet crushed into the small lip of the new insert bushing. I tried the bike seat in place and works. I don't plan on messing with it looks like it belongs there.

5. Member
    Thank you all for the input.
    MoBob

2020 Z520c Ranger 250 Pro-XS Mercury
    2023 Ford Raptor
    O'Fallon, MO

6. Member
    On the last one I did. I removed the old bushing that was already split (it came out easily) and then took a hot soldering iron, held at about a 30 degree angle into the hole, until the carpet fibers barely melted back to the edge of the hole. Made a nice tapered, finished edge against the new bushing.

7. Ranger Boats Moderator jc2bg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by bcreek View Post
    On the last one I did. I removed the old bushing that was already split (it came out easily) and then took a hot soldering iron, held at about a 30 degree angle into the hole, until the carpet fibers barely melted back to the edge of the hole. Made a nice tapered, finished edge against the new bushing.
    That’s a great idea, John. Thanks for sharing.
    John Clark — Findlay, Ohio