Was having trouble achieving best RPM

Have a 2022 CX 21 with a 300R, started with a 26 Fury, then 25, and then a 24, reached 6200 barely with the 24, need to be in the 6400 range for optimum performance, had the hotfoot checked twice to make sure we were getting WOT, it all checked out so my dealer decided to install wedges, bingo, hit 6400 rpms and 80 mph, he said he ran out of lake, felt like he could have hit 81-82. That is with the 25 Fury, I have a 25 Tempest on the way, thinking it will be faster, plan on having it worked after i run it, heard Mark Croxton has retired, did he sell his business to someone who can work the prop, if not does anyone know of someone who is as good with Tempest props ?

2. Member
    Hit the 80’s? Nice! That’s flying!

3. Member
    I tried the wedges on my 20, did not help one bit matter of fact it hurt me some. I have thought all along you should hit that 80 to 82 mark !!

4. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    I tried the wedges on my 20, did not help one bit matter of fact it hurt me some. I have thought all along you should hit that 80 to 82 mark !!
    It just would not lift enough for the boat to do its thing, yesterday with two anglers, tourney load, over half a tank of fuel and one livewell full I hit 78, feel pretty sure I could have hit 79 or 80 with better conditions, either way that is moving along in that big boat tourney loaded. Unfortunately my boat may be out of service for awhile, tagged a stump hard, bent prop and cracked the lower unit housing, dealer told me he could take one off a new engine as long as the lower units are not back order, keeping fingers crossed. I had ran through that cut probably 10 -12 times before and 4 times on this trip, the 4th trip got me, we were headed to weigh in, it did not stall or kill engine, I could feel a slight vibration, was hoping it was just the prop, I doubt we would have been able to go very far, the housing had to be filling up with water.

5. Member
    Sorry to hear that. I hope they get you fixed up ASAP.

6. Member
    Roger, you might check with Josh at Steve's Prop Shop @ Fork. He has mine now and hear he really does well.

7. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Mcb196 View Post
    Roger, you might check with Josh at Steve's Prop Shop @ Fork. He has mine now and hear he really does well.
    Yes I may have him repair that prop, I have a like new Tempest that I am going to send to mark croxton as soon as I can run it to get some numbers for him, he had worked a couple Tempest props for the Tritons I used to run, he made a big difference in performance.

8. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by happykamper View Post
    Yes I may have him repair that prop, I have a like new Tempest that I am going to send to mark croxton as soon as I can run it to get some numbers for him, he had worked a couple Tempest props for the Tritons I used to run, he made a big difference in performance.
    I have a prop at Marks place right now, he's hard to beat working with props.

9. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaymasRodney View Post
    I have a prop at Marks place right now, he's hard to beat working with props.
    Ran the boat today with a 25 Tempest, 80.6 , 6300 -6400 rpms, pretty sure the boat had more in it, fairly sure I did not lol, was having to drive it, dam that tempest got some lift, i thought it may take off like a plane. Not sure i will have Mark work the prop, it had about all i wanted, no doubt someone with more balls than me could get 83 plus out of this boat.

10. Member
    Ran the boat today with a 25 Tempest, 80.6 , 6300 -6400 rpms, pretty sure the boat had more in it, fairly sure I did not lol, was having to drive it, dam that tempest got some lift, i thought it may take off like a plane. Not sure i will have Mark work the prop, it had about all i wanted, no doubt someone with more balls than me could get 83 plus out of this boat.
    U might wanna hang on to that boat. I think u found a unicorn with that one. Damn, that’s haulin it!

11. Member
    Wish you were closer, would love to feel that boat!!

12. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ch View Post
    U might wanna hang on to that boat. I think u found a unicorn with that one. Damn, that’s haulin it!
    It does have a 300R on it, not sure if you knew that. When I say someone could get 83 plus I am not necessarily talking about how it is set up right now, they may have to experiment with different props and engine settings, I am good with where it is at now.

13. Member
    It does have a 300R on it, not sure if you knew that. When I say someone could get 83 plus I am not necessarily talking about how it is set up right now, they may have to experiment with different props and engine settings, I am good with where it is at now.
    That helps with gettin my mind wrapped around those speeds. That’s movin on the water. Would like to sit in the passenger seat and feel the wind rush. Wouldn’t mind drivin it at those speeds, but I don’t know that I could handle it.

14. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ch View Post
    That helps with gettin my mind wrapped around those speeds. That’s movin on the water. Would like to sit in the passenger seat and feel the wind rush. Wouldn’t mind drivin it at those speeds, but I don’t know that I could handle it.
    The conditions were not perfect plus I am not used to driving it that fast yet, little seat time should cure that, its just been awhile , had a Bullet before this boat but at 80 it was not too difficult to drive, when it got to 85 it got a little western

15. Member
    What elevation and temps r u running at?

16. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by dbs1 View Post
    What elevation and temps r u running at?
    Not sure what elevation is here in the DFW area, the air temps were 50 - 65, water temps were about the same as the air. This past Saturday I had full tourney load, two people, 3/4 tank fuel, both livewells full and I saw 77, was not trying to get to top speed, figure it would have ran 78-79 had I pushed it.