Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Best way to clean bilge area?

What’s the best method you guys have found to clean the bilge area of your bass boats without getting power pole pumps wet? I’ve heard the pumps aren’t waterproof so I don’t want to just spray it out but it would also be a pain to wipe everything down back there as it gets pretty nasty and it’s a tight space. Any ideas?

2. SC Club Moderator ChampioNman's Avatar
    Either spray with purple power and let it soak or fill bilge with water and toss a few bars of lava soap in there and drive around for a few days.

3. BBC SPONSOR
    I use a few squirts of Dawn dish washing liquid and 3 or 4 gallons of HOT water on the drive to the lake. Leave the plug in all day. Pull the plug and rinse out with the water hose when you get home.

4. Member
    Do either of you have power pole pumps mounted in your bilge area? Does the water damage them?

Always did the Dawn dish soap and water and drive around in mine in the past and works well.

Drop a bar of Lava soap in the bilge every year. The water will do the rest.

7. mikesxpress
    DO NOT put a bar of soap in the bilge. You'll spend hours trying to get that goo out of there.

A half quart of Super Clean and a gallon of water then drive around and flush.

8. BBC SPONSOR
    Quote Originally Posted by Mferg View Post
    Do either of you have power pole pumps mounted in your bilge area? Does the water damage them?
    Yes I have power poles but they are mounted up higher in the bilge area. The water never reaches the pumps.

9. Member
    Very little Dish detergent and sponge.

10. Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hunna View Post
    Very little Dish detergent and sponge.
    Yes, it's called elbow grease. LOL

11. Member
    Toilet brush and soapy water works for me.

Quote Originally Posted by mikesxpress View Post
    DO NOT put a bar of soap in the bilge. You'll spend hours trying to get that goo out of there.

Also the bar can get caught under your auto bilge switch….
    BULLET 20 XRD/250 Merc Sport XS
    www.ncboatguy.com

13. Moderator

Will have to try this.

14. Member
    I mix up some dawn dish soap and water and spray it on everything and hose it out. If its really bad i will use a degreaser then hose it out.

15. Member
    Another vote for SuperClean/Purple Power, hard to beat in many different applications! Don't be stingy and water it down too much though and the results will be better and faster!

Spray liberally with Simple Green. Let sit for 5 minutes. Rinse with water hose.

Works Extremely well!!

DO NOT PUT A BAR OF SOAP in the bilge !! That is unless you don't mind taking EVERYTHING out to clean up the GUNK it will leave !! YIKES !!! A couple times a year I will put about 5 gallons of hot water and a cup of Dawn Dish Soap into the bulge with the plug in and the Auto Bilge Pump disconnected. Then I drive about an hour to one of the few lakes I like to fish, and I will "Brake" and then "Goose" it to slosh the mixture around maybe 15-20 times or more depending on the traffic behind me. Then I stop a few miles before the lake and re-connect the bilge pump and let it pump out some, then open the bilge plug and continue to the lake letting the remainder drain. At the lake, I put the plug back in, pour another 5 gallons of clean water in and launch the boat. At the end of the day, I'll pull the plug and drive home. At home, I take the hose and flush the bilge out and let it drain. Keeps everything clean and looking good !! AND NO SCRUBBING REQUIRED !!!
    Ranger Boats / Mercury Motors
    G Loomis Rods / Shimano Reels
    Raymarine / MinnKota Ultrex
    Garmin / Live Scope Plus
    Pepper Jigs / Robo Worms
    Troll Bridge / V-T2 Vents

18. Member
    Spray with water. Spray with Purple Powet. Let it soal and begin wiping with paper towels. It'll come clean - just takes willingness to wipe everything down.
    2023 Puma STS

19. Member
    I just use whatever degreaser I happen to have at the time (purple power, simple green, mean green, super clean, totally awesome, etc.) and my electric power washer. Looks brand new and doesn't take but a few minutes.

20. Member

Agree, the bar of soap is a bad idea.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast