Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    WOW!! I guess I've been doing it wrong for about 40 years now.
    I have put a bar of LAVA soap in every year, never once had any kind of problem with "gunk", but do have a clean bilge area.

2. Member
    When I was in the Army as a combat engineer I ran a dual engine turbo diesel military assault/bridge boat. After struggling with acing a couple of inspections I started using a bar of lava soap to help clean the bilge. These things were terrible for oil leaks so the bilge was a mess.

After that I would Come back from a mission and hose that bilge out and it was sparkly clean. it wasn’t long before the rest of the boats had a bar of lava soap in them as well.

in my bass boat I simply take it to the car wash and spray the bilge with engine degreaser then drive home and rinse it out! It works perfectly.
    Chris Coupel
    Paulina, La.

I tried the lava soap once. Never again. It left a nasty chalky film all over. That was more difficult to clean than the bilge was to start with.

There’s been a 1/2 bar of Lava soap in the bilge of my 2007 BassCat since the day I bought it. Replenish as needed. The only side effect I’ve noted is a spotless bilge area with no effort on my part.
    BassCat Sabre FTD
    Mercury 150 Optimax
    "It's just fishing"

5. Member
    I have used lava soap for 40 years and never a problem. Last 4 boats I sold the buyers could not believe how clean the bilge areas were. Just saying.
    And I am not sponsored by any soap companies. Ha ha

yes, we guess in over 50 years of building boats we haven’t learned anything about a bar of LAVA soap

Quote Originally Posted by Coke View Post
    WOW!! I guess I've been doing it wrong for about 40 years now.
    I have put a bar of LAVA soap in every year, never once had any kind of problem with "gunk", but do have a clean bilge area.

I have been putting LAVA Soap in my bilge for years and years ,, now it has to be LAVA , can not be anything other than that and it has worked like a champ ,, now I do have a small plano box that i put the two bars in and have a crap load of small holes drilled on all sides,, have a string tied to it as well , just pull it out of the bilge every year or so and put a couple new bars in , drop i back in and my bilge stays spotless ,,, It's really just that easy , no need to over complicate simple things

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12